Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Integration of Excel in PPM

Highlighted
DivyaMurali
Trusted Contributor.

Integration of Excel in PPM

Hi,

We have a requirement to integrate the excel with PPM. The excel is being used to enter the forecast hours which calculates the forecast amount. This forecast amount have to be populated to financial summary of the project.

We thought of using staffing profile to allow the users to enter the planned hours but the forecast cost are being caluculated using many different formulae which we are not sure whether it can be implementted in PPM. The client wants the excel(has many tabs for each cost category) to be integrated in PPM and cost be populated to Financial summary from the excel.

Please let us know how can this be achieved in PPM.

Thanks!

Divya

3 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Integration of Excel in PPM

Hi Divya,

I don't think that this will work.

Reason is the following:

Staffing Profile / Work plan forecast costs (depending on the project settings) are calculated by cost rules and rolled up to the Financial Summary depending on the cost factoring for those rules.

Even if you were to submit the forecast hours to be summed up to the financial summary, the cost calculations would still be based on the PPM calculation and not by the customer cost rules. This is of course a design and would cause a lot of problems if you try to enter your own calculation formulae.

I suggest the customer to make himself familiar with cost factors and cost rules as well as the mechanisms that will roll those costs up to the financial summary.

Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,

Dirk

- kudos always welcome -

DivyaMurali
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for the reply Dirk..

Can you please let me know if it is possible to populate the calculated cost from the excel to financial summary.

The cost is being calculated in the excel itself using macros. Client needs the cost to  be populated from the excel to PPM Financial Summary. Please advice whether this can be done in PPM.

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Divya,

I gave the answers explicitly with the reasons above.

In short:

Can you please let me know if it is possible to populate the calculated cost from the excel to financial summary.

-> no

The cost is being calculated in the excel itself using macros. Client needs the cost to  be populated from the excel to PPM Financial Summary. Please advice whether this can be done in PPM.

-> no

Best regards,

Dirk