Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of Microsoft Project in HP PPM 9.1version

Highlighted
tilak18
Occasional Advisor

Installation of Microsoft Project in HP PPM 9.1version

Which Licenses software of MSP, should I procure and install in our system in order to work (integration) with HP PPM tool version 9.1 ?

Product                                 Version

Microsoft Project 2010       Standard

Microsoft Project 2010       Professional

1. Do i need to have any pre-requisites or precautions to be taken before installation of MSP ?
  2. Since, i am using MSP for the first time, could you please help me with some examples as to how I need to use the integration of MSP in HP PPM tool ?
  3. Could anyone please share any information or user guides with specific to this topic ?
  4. Does the functionality “Download Microsoft Project Plug-in” works in 7.5v.  If so, could you please explain us with steps and procedures ?
9 REPLIES
Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Re: Installation of Microsoft Project in HP PPM 9.1version

Hi Tilak,

PPM Plugin for MS Project will work with both these versions of Microsoft Project, so it's up to you to choose the version depending on your users' requirements. 

For all the other questions (pre-requisites, usage scenarios), you will find answers in the HP PPM Center Project Management User Guide, in the Chapter 10, "Integrating HP Project Management with Microsoft Project".

You can download all User Guides from Self-Solve:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/manuals

For your last question, yes, you can also download the MSP Plugin in PPM 7.5, but this version will only work when connecting to a PPM 7.5 instance, and it won't work on MS Project 2010 (only 2003 and 2007).

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

d4y4n4
Frequent Visitor

Hi Tilak,

PPM uses an ActiveX control to provide some of the functionality for the integration with Microsoft Project. This requires following web browser settings to be enabled on the client:

* Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe

(Open a IE browser, Go to Tools, Click on Internet Options, then Security tab, and finally click on Custom Level button, and look for the above setting)

This setting is required to initialize the MSProject.Application ActiveX control. This ActiveX control is supplied by Microsoft with the Microsoft Project client installation and is used to open Microsoft Project on the client machine from the browser. All other functions regarding the Microsoft Project Integration are performed by the PPM Microsoft Project Plug-in which runs within Microsoft Project.

The Plug-In is used to synchronize projects with Microsoft Project. The user’s web browser can also call the plug-in functions through the ActiveX control to import a project into Microsoft Project.

Regards,
Dayana
Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi Dayana,

That is not entirely correct.

Since PPM 9.1+ and 8.04, the PPM Plugin for MS Project does not require ActiveX anymore, so you can ignore any ActiveX related tuning as long as you are not using PPM 8.03 or earlier.

Thanks,
Etienne. 

d4y4n4
Frequent Visitor

You are right!
MichaelOne
Occasional Advisor

I followed the directions to set and not set the ActiveX control, but the PPM plug-in still does not appear when I open MS Project 2003.  We recently upgraded from PPM version 8.0 to 9.1, now the plug-in wont show.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

What PPM version are you using exactly?

If you are using a version earlier than 9.12, you may need to first download and install Microsoft Office 2003 PIO: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20923

Did you tried to completely uninstall the plugin, and re-install it using the plugin downloaded from HP PPM Center menu?

Thanks,

Etienne.

Joanie01
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to export a prlject from HP-PPM to MSP.  I have downoaded both the VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office) program and the HP PPM Center plugin for Microsoft Project.

When I click on the "Open Work Plan in Microsoft Project", I've been asking "Open with  Micorsoft Project, I click OK and when it opens, there are only 2 lines with the following messages in:

1. Please wait while HP PPM Center plugin for Microsoft Project is loading…

2. If this file is not automatically closed, you may need to re-install HP PPM Center plugin for Microsoft Project.

I have installed the plug-in a couple of times but stil get the same mesaage.

Can anyone help me?

Neels Marais

Personal Info Erased

abhksoni
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm trying to export a projectfrom HP-PPM to MSP.  I have downoaded both the VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office) program and the HP PPM Center plugin for Microsoft Project 6.0.0007.

When I click on the "Open Work Plan in Microsoft Project", I've been asking "Open with  Micorsoft Project, I click OK and when it opens, there are only 2 lines with the following messages in:

1. Please wait while HP PPM Center plugin for Microsoft Project is loading…

2. If this file is not automatically closed, you may need to re-install HP PPM Center plugin for Microsoft Project.

I have installed the plug-in a couple of times but stil get the same mesaage.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,

Abhishek

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi Abhishek,

If the file with the 2 lines doesn't close automatically, it means that the plugin is not correctly installed. I have no idea why that's the case, but I can bet that when you start MS Project, you don't have the PPM Plugin menu that appears in the menu bar. 

This will only work if the plugin is correctly installed. No PPM menu in the menu bar (in "Add-ins" section in MSP 2010 and later) means that the plugin hasn't been properly installed.

Thanks,

Etienne.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event