Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Install PPM as Windows Service

Highlighted
Gerardo Gamez
Respected Contributor.

Install PPM as Windows Service

Hi, I know there is a command to set up PPM as a native windows service but I cannot remember it and don't know very well what happen if I make this change?

Can any one point me in the right direction?

Thanks and regards,

Gerardo.

13 REPLIES
Sascha_1
Super Contributor.

Re: Install PPM as Windows Service

Hi ggamez,

i think what you are looking for is the ksvc.exe, which is located in $PPM_HOME$/bin directory.

Execute the file on command prompt with one of the following options.

D:\ITG\bin>ksvc

Usage:
  ksvc list [-all true|false]
  ksvc install server-name [-kh kintana-home] [-jh java-home]
  ksvc remove server-name
  ksvc install-all [-kh kintana-home] [-jh java-home]
  ksvc remove-all [-kh kintana-home]
  ksvc sync [-kh kintana-home] [-jh java-home]

If -kh is missing, ksvc will try to determine kintana home
from the location of ksvc.exe.

If -jh is missing, ksvc will read the environment variable
JAVA_HOME.

The commands remove-all, install-all, and sync will only
configure services for the given kintana home.

The command list by default shows only services relative
to the given kintana-home. When supplying "-all true" all
Kintana services are displayed. The exit code is the number
of running services displayed.

If you have JAVA_HOME defined as an environment variable
and run ksvc.exe from kintana-home/bin, then you are not
required to use the -jh or -kh parameters.

Regards

Sascha

Gerardo Gamez
Respected Contributor.

Hi Sascha,

Thanks for your help, I have one more question, is there any inconvenience to install the PPM as a windows service?? The logs still saving on the logs folder?

Thanks and regards.

Gerardo.

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Gerardo,

the logs will still be created in the same folder. If you let us know the version of PPm that you are running, there might be an issue that is documented. In 8.0x, there is a problem with logs that are rolling instead of creating a backup file when PPM is started in Windows Services. There's a fix for that available that you can get from PPM Support.

Sascha_1
Super Contributor.

Hi Gerardo,

i do not know any inconvenience using windows services for PPM. For every specified PPM node, you will get a seperate log file.By default the log files have a size von 256 KB. But you can increase the size editing the logging.conf file. How many PPM nodes you run?

Regards

Sascha

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Gerardo, Sascha,

the issue I was referring to is known for 8.01 and 8.02 and only happens when using windows services, not with kStart.sh.

The known problem can be found here:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/FID/DOCUMENTUM_QCCR1L28261

Best regards,

Dirk

Gerardo Gamez
Respected Contributor.

Hi Dirk, Sascha,

I'm using PPM 7.5 version, I don't know if there is any logged issue making this change. I have 2 nodes running so I suppose it must be installed in both nodes as a Windows service?

Regards.

Gerardo

Sascha_1
Super Contributor.

Hi Gerardo,

do you run two nodes on different physical machines or on the same machine?

However, i would run the two nodes as a windows service.

Regards

Sascha

Gerardo Gamez
Respected Contributor.

Hi Sascha,

There are two nodes, each one on a physical machine, I will try to run it on both nodes to install the windows service.

Thanks.

Sascha_1
Super Contributor.

Hi Gerardo,

one node for each physical server should not be a problem. Maybe you should make a service isolation, if you expect high user traffic. Which PPM version you are running.

Regards

Sascha

Cat_2
Super Contributor.

We run our instance as a Windows Service. There was the rolling log problem someone else mentioned, but there's a patch for that.

We are getting ready to switch to a 3 node configuration as Windows management of Java memory is not good. Per our instructions there is a windows service for each node.

Nick Bucher
Trusted Contributor.

An easy way to get the services is to run the kConfig.sh Script and choice in the menu "Configure Windows Services".

Regards, Nick

Gerardo Gamez
Respected Contributor.

Hi everyone,

A long time since last answer, I have a question about installing PPM as a Windows service:

First, I'm running two nodes with PPM 7.5, one node is working as passive mode, and the other one is on active mode, so this one is working always with the aplication, start and run the PPM services such as send notifications, etc, but sometimes when the PPM services are started on the other node it won't work anything, it won't send notifications, etc, this is a known problem in the organization, actually the solution I found to solve this is only to stop this node and wait for the other node to start the PPM services, then I start the node and work fine anything, so the question is: if installing PPM as windows service, the services will be active on each node, which node will start the PPM services?

I hope you can understand my situation and can give me some recomendations about it.

Thanks and Regards.

Gerardo.

Kerim KILIC
Honored Contributor.

first, you need to start primary server; when it says ready in logs then you need to start secondary server. if you want isolate backgroud services to only one node you need to use service_enabled parameter. please check admin guides.