Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inputs on HP PPM Document Management System (DMS) solution

Highlighted
sarmishra
Occasional Contributor

Inputs on HP PPM Document Management System (DMS) solution

Hello All,

1. Has anyone integrated DMS post 9.13? Can you provide us the steps for the same. We don't use Documentum too so we'll start afresh & we are at 9.14.

2. Can you also share the beenfits of using the same. Can we use it as a code repository?

3. Is HP going to deprecate this?

Appreciate any of your inputs.

Thanks again,

Sarita Mishra

5 REPLIES
Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Re: Inputs on HP PPM Document Management System (DMS) solution

Hi Sarita,

1. I won't speak for customers (as I'm PPM R&D), but we've helped many customers on PPM versions ranging from 9.13 to 9.21 migrate to PPM Database DMS, most of the time from Documentum but occasionally from the "File System Attachments", and it's typically been a smooth ride. Note that it's not really an "Integration" with PPM Database DMS, it's more a built-in feature, just like the File System Attachment solution (which is by the way built on the same technical infrastructure as Documentum integration and PPM Database DMS, despite the fact that there's no "DMS" in its name).

It's actually easier to migrate from File System Attachment to PPM Database DMS than from Documentum, as you don't need to do the tunning of Documentum Sessions that may be required to limit errors caused by Documentum during documents migration.

For the migration steps, you can refer to the official PPM Document Management documentation and to the DMS Migration White Paper which are both available on HP Self-Solve (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/search , scroll down after running your search to view the results).

2. Here are the reasons that can motivate someone to migrate to PPM Database DMS:

- Need for a check-in/check-out process when adding documents, with traceability enforcment for the different versions of the documents.

- Full-text search (i.e. be able to search also the documents contents when searching for a request or a project)

- Easier backup of your PPM environment, with business data and attached documents all stored in one place (the database).

However, this comes at the price of more weigth on your database, especially for disk space (which can be mitigated by storing documents in a dedicated DB Schema, as is possible since PPM 9.20), and if you need full-text search, you'll need your DBA to create manually the Oracle TEXT indexes. HP Provides some sample index creation scripts to do so that you can run as-is or that your DBA can  tweak according to your needs.

Overall, if you are fine with current features of File System Attachments, stick to it. 

And to answer your question, no, I would strongly advise against using it as a code repository, it's definitely not its intended use. 

3. Regarding a depreciation of PPM Database DMS, I'd say it's very unlikely. PPM Database DMS only leverages Oracle technologies that are included in Oracle Standard & Enterprise editions (Oracle TEXT for full text indexing, and the documents contents are stored in Oracle BLOB columns). This is a built-in feature of PPM, not an integration; I don't remember HP ever deprecating any built-in feature or interface of PPM; only integrations typically get eventually deprecated & removed (such as the Documentum one). This is in no way an official commitment from HP though, just my personnal opinion.

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

happa
Collector

Hello Etienne,

As you have said "Databse DMS" is a built in feature of th PPM, do we have to purchase any extra licenses for enabling this feature?

Currently we are in 9.14 and planning to upgrade to 9.2, so we have a proposition to implement Database DMS in place of the current "File System Attachments".

Please assist us in providing the information.

Thanks and Regards,

Santhosh 

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi Santhosh,

There's no extra license cost involved for using PPM Database DMS. It's implemented using features already available in Oracle (such as TEXT indexes for full text search), so there's no extra licensing cost involved.

Thanks,

Etienne.

crobinsonATX
Occasional Contributor

Do you happen to know how the "External Database DMS Solution" is supposed to be setup?  Is there a script similar to the one provided for the CreateKintanaUser, CreateRMLUser and GrantSystPrivs scripts?

I was hoping to take this route for our Documentum migration but the vendor documentation is pretty light in regards to the external DB setup.

Thanks,

Chance

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi Chance,

Could you specify what information you would like to see added to the official PPM DMS User Manual?

You can download it from here:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00309997

Configuration of PPM External Database DMS starts at page 27.

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event