Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Import Validation

Highlighted
Kalin Petrov
Respected Contributor.

Import Validation

Hi,

I want to sync a PPM validation to a third party data that comes as a flat file. I could import the data in PPM's validation tables and then flush the cache or import the data into a new db table and build the validation dynamically with an SQL statement on the top of it... but I'd like to know if there's a best practice approach in this scenario?

Thanks for any ideas,
Kalin
4 REPLIES
Raka_1
Super Contributor.

Re: Import Validation

Is it a Drop Down Validation. If it is then you convert the flat file into excel and then use XML import utility to import the validation. So when ever the validation from the 3rd party changes you have to do it again. Also I have seen that there can be a request type which can be utilized to automatically update the validations through some execution steps.
Kalin Petrov
Respected Contributor.

Hi Raka,

Unfortunately, your solution can't be applied to our case, because it requires a manual action.
The solution I'm talking about has to be fully automated, because there's a big chance that the validation could be updated daily. In my mind it looks more like a scheduled PPM report which executes some script/program/pl sql and refreshes the validation.

Thanks,
Kalin
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

You could use a validation type of Command with Delimited Output and use a cat command to read the flat file. When a revised version is installed, it will be active with no additional intervention.
Kalin Petrov
Respected Contributor.

Thanks, Jim,

What about the case when I want to import that validation in the database, have you got any suggestions?

Regards,
Kalin