Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Import / Export Users, Security Groups

Highlighted
Gerardo Gamez
Respected Contributor.

Import / Export Users, Security Groups

Hi everyone,

I have a production and development environment and I want all the users on the production environment to be on the development environment but also I want the security groups.

I already run the Import Users report to create the users on both environments but I have to specify the security group on the report, when a security group does not exists on development I have to create it manually on the environment and is not very functional when there are a lot of new security groups.

So, I have a question, is there any way on PPM to import / export users and also import / export security groups? avoiding to make an import / export of database.

Thanks and regards.

Gerardo.

4 REPLIES
Oscar_Pereira
Honored Contributor.

Re: Import / Export Users, Security Groups

Hello Gerardo,

Just an idea that may help you to at least migrate the biggest Security groups…

PPM has never provided a way to directly migrate Security Groups. The kMigratorExtract.sh script, documented in the PPM installation and administration guide does not provide an EntityID to specify Security groups. The Security groups are only migrated as child of other entities. So you could create a dummy Request Type and associate the required Security Groups with the Dummy Request Type. Then migrate the Dummy Request type. This should cause the Security Group to also be migrated because it is required by the Dummy Request type. This will migrate the security group to the target system. But, this will only migrate the Security Group if it does not already exist on the target system. If the security group already exists, but has been changed, the changes will not be migrated to the target system. It would not be safe to do this, because if the security group already existed, it may already be in use by other requests.

There are two related enhancements targeted for next PPM release:

QCCR1L35160: Add the ability to import Security Groups via Data Import tool

QCCR1L38599: Need feature to import security groups from LDAP

Regards

Oscar Pereira

Gerardo Gamez
Respected Contributor.

Hi Oscar,

I created the Dummy Request to check about the security groups and it works fine but the security groups are empty, is there any way that users can pass too with the security group?

Thanks and regards.

Gerardo

jsalass
Honored Contributor.

Hi Gerardo,

Here is another workaround.

What you can do is to populate the INTERFACE tables in DEV with the user and security groups records in PROD.

How??? Well you just need to create an insert statement based on a select from your PROD dada

You can use the Open Interface Guide and Reference:
http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM995169

Chapter 2: User Open Interface

There you will see these two tables
KNTA_USERS_INT
KNTA_USER_SECURITY_INT

There you will find the description of the tables.

So, you can perform a simple import after you populate the tables.

You should use an insert sql structure like this:

insert into <dev_schema>.KNTA_USERS_INT
select <all the fields you need> from <prod_schema>.knta_users

If the schemas are in a different database so you will need to use a DBlink to access prod data.

Then, you can even schedule this in a DB job for new users/securitygroups.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jonathan

Oscar_Pereira
Honored Contributor.

Hi Gerardo,

No, unfourtunatelly thats not possible via migrations.

Regards

Oscar Pereira