Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

How to show request description automatically in Portlet preference?

Highlighted
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

How to show request description automatically in Portlet preference?

Hi,
I am having a Portlet whose Filter is Request ID.

After giving the preference the portlet shows the Preference as the first line, In this preference I want to show the Request Description of the request which I have entered, Is there is any option available?

Regards,
Mahendran M
9 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How to show request description automatically in Portlet preference?

Hi, you can decide for each portlet to show its preferences in the dashboard and only preferences at this position. You can have the description as column in the portlet of course.
I could think of a way to fake the description as a preference though.
Have one filter in the portlet for the request ID and a second one for the description, then for the second one create a custum SQL validation that uses the first one in the where clause. I did not try if the token will work there, but this would work in a request though.
This way request id and description can be displayed in the portlet's first line below its title.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, The additional filter is not working....

I have wrote a union and added the fields Request ID and Description.

But I want the Request description to be spread accross the Portlet columns so that there is only one line.

I don't like the current Description inside an single cell.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

I don't want to increase the "column Width" in 'Edit Display Column', The look and feel becomes bad, The text should be spread across the Columns, Otherwise there should be only one Column for this row, Can the Columns be merged?

Regards,
Mahendran M
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

So what you want to achieve is a kind of subheading with the description and a list of tasks below it?
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

nope just only one heading... If you can show workarounds for multiple sub headings, It can be a learning...

Regards,
Mahendran M
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

I could think of three ways.
1. use the standard portlet which is called request references (don't know the English name), if the tasks are references of the request you use to filter. See screenshot for an example, "123" is the description field of the request; unfortunately the columns cannot be changed here.
2. construct a data source that generates an HTML table, that looks and works like you want, then use a portlet definition that has only one column.
3. create a custom java portlet with any functionality you like

With custom list portlets you will not be able to achieve what you described.
hth
Regards
Sascha
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Is there is any documentation available for Custom Java Portlets? To my knowledge there is no such Documents... If you have anything like that, Kindly share with me.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

I don't have one, from all I know, you would need to develop a JSR168 compliant portlet and then import it into a new portlet definition.
The resulting WAR file must then be placed in /server//deploy
You can test the import process with a portlet already on your PPM instance but not yet imported called "URL Portlet".
I'm not a Java developer, so I cannot give you any further details on the topic JSR168.
Sorry
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Found an old document from Mercury on portlets