Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

How to move the attachments to remote location?

Highlighted
TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

How to move the attachments to remote location?

Hi,

I am running a 9.14 version on Windows 2003.

We've decided to move the attachments to a remote location.

I've done the followings:

Changed the ATTACHMENT_DIRNAME in Server.conf.

com.kintana.core.server.ATTACHMENT_DIRNAME=//fileserver/PPM

Changed the attachmentDir in dms.conf.

dms.filesys.attachmentDir=//fileserver/PPM

Delete from PPM_INT_CONFIGURATIONS where SOLUTION_ID=1200

4. Run UpdateHtml

5. Moved all my attachments to //fileserver/PPM

and I am sure my KINTANA_LDAP_ID in Server.conf has all the rights to access the attachment location.

But, I can neither get nor save the attachments.

I get the following error.

The file could not be uploaded because the attachment root directory does not exist on the HP Project and Portfolio Management Server.

I am not sure if I am missing something.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

T.M.

8 REPLIES
randull
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How to move the attachments to remote location?

Hi!

Please try this,

1) Shut down your instance

2) Delete a record from the database of the PPM Production instance via below SQL:

delete from PPM_INT_CONFIGURATIONS where solution_id=1200
/
commit
/

3) Check the content of /conf/dms.conf, ensure dms.filesys.attachmentDir is pointing to a proper directory.

4) Restart the Production instance

Best regards,
Randall

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
"If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

Hi Randall,

I am not sure if you read my post.

I've already done exactly what you are trying to tell me.

I am trying to find out why it is not working.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Regards

T.M.

snehacha
Respected Contributor.

Hi There,

Open Administration Console ->> Administration Tasks ->> DMS Configuration and check Current DMS Parameters. The path given there should reflect your remote location path. If not, edit the parameter and change it to the remote location.

Regards,

Neha

randull
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi TurboMan,

Are you getting any error when you try to get or add an attachement? If so, please attach it here

Please check if the attachement folder is shared and also if you have access to it. Sometimes this can cause troubles.

Thanks,

Randall

Best regards,
Randall

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
"If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
Kerim KILIC
Honored Contributor.

the ppm ldap user is the user you start ppm service? at remote file server the user (it may be local, or domain) has to have permissions on directory. if you are starting ppm with local user, then i suggest 2 options either start with domain user and give permission on remote folder or map remote directory as network drive and at dms configuration changed //fileserver//blabla with g:/attachments like that.
Etienne_Canaud
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

This is may be due to an incorrectly written path to the shared folder, or incorrectly configured access grants that prevent PPM Server to connect to the remote folder. You may get more detailed error information in the file "dms_log.txt" located in your PPM server log folder.

Can you access the shared folder from the Win2003 server running PPM using the path you did input in PPM DMS configuration?

In order to help you find how to write the shared folder path in a way PPM Server can use (or test any change with access grant), you can try the PPM DMS Migration feature available from the administration console (available since 9.13). 

From the DMS Configuration page, click "Migrate", and then re-select "PPM Center FileS ystem" in the Target DMS solutions list, only this time in following screen (where you can configure the Target DMS) you should input your shared folder path.

You can try to input your shared path in different ways until you find a way that works. One possible way is to use the IP address of your shared server, i.e. "\\16.186.72.144\ppm\DmsAttachments", but you might need some extra try and error to find the path that will be accepted.

When you will click "Next", PPM Center will validate the shared path by trying to save a document and retrieve it on this shared folder. It will tell you immediately if the path you input is invalid. This is what will help you to find the "right way" of inputing your shared folder path quickly. Until you can find a way that is accepted by PPM Server, you won't be able to use your shared path. As said in a previously post, LDAP (or some other access grant) can be one of the reason PPM Center cannot connect to the shared folder. 

Once you find a way that works, do NOT click the "Start Migration" button (because your current File System shared folder is not correctly configured and it could not find the documents to migrate). Instead, click on "Cancel", and set the correct shared folder directly in the "DMS Configuration" screen. That's it, everything should work now if your documents have been correctly copied to the shared folder. No PPM Server restart is required (also, the config change will have been automatically propagated to all your nodes in case you are running PPM in clustered configuration).

Thanks,

Etienne.

TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Etienne for the valuable information,

Just a quick question,

What user should have the proper permission to access to the shared folder, the parameter set in server.config called com.kintana.core.server.KINTANA_LDAP_ID ?

Regards

T.M.

Etienne_Canaud
Outstanding Contributor.

Well, that's a good question!

I don't think that KINTANA_LDAP_ID is related to the authentication information used by PPM when accessing the attachments folder. As far as I can tell, (I may be wrong), this parameter is only used when PPM checks LDAP authentication info from PPM Users.

When trying to access attachments, PPM simply tries to access the (remote or local) file without any specific authentication, so I suppose it must be accessing the files with whatever authentication is linked to the account the PPM Server is currently running under.

If your PPM server is running under Windows, you can use specific credentials to connect to the remote folder by Mapping a Network Drive to the shared attachment folder, and clicking "Connect using different credentials" when doing so. Also verify that "reconnect on Logon" is checked to make sure this drive letter is available even after server restart.

You can then use the letter of the mapped network drive in your attachment path in PPM DMS config, and here you go.

Just remember to create the same drive letter on all your PPM Servers (if you are running in clustered mode), because all your PPM cluster nodes will use the same DMS attachment path defined in the admin console.

Thanks,

Etienne.