How to import skills

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jan Pavelka
Outstanding Contributor.

How to import skills

Hi,

I would like to import skills from an excel file. However I haven't found any way how to do it. It is a list of 100 skills and it is still growing. I do not want to insert them manually.

Could you send me any hint?

Thanks
Jan
5 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: How to import skills

Hi,

If you want to simply insert skills in the database, then you may also use insert statement to insert all the skills in the the rsc_skills table.
Jan Pavelka
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello,

thank you for your info. It means that I should perform simple SQL insert statement? I came from HP Service Desk community and direct modification of DB layer was completely unsupported there.
But it sounds quite easy. If it is supported way I will try it.

Jan
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Hi Jan,

I am pretty sure you can do this. Though the usual practice is to use the interface tables for various types of data insertion into the core tables, but unfortunately, for roles, skills and some other end user data, there are no columns in the interface tables to import this data to. But since the skills tables is fairly easy with only relationship with the skill proficiency table this should be easy to do. I have seen people importing roles and skills into its tables directly. You can test run before importing all the skills, by importing a couple of skills and then testing it on front end by viewing it, associating with a user, etc. to make sure the data inserted into each column of the skills table is working fine.
Jan Pavelka
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

great, thank you. We will do so.

Jan
Jan Pavelka
Outstanding Contributor.

I close the thread because I got complete answer.