Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

How to configure "auto-routing controls" in demand management workflow

Highlighted
lester000
Frequent Contributor.

How to configure "auto-routing controls" in demand management workflow

Hello,

I am working on a demand management workflow and i am having issues on how to apply an "auto routing" workflow logic.

wherein let's say during the development and testing phase, if a need for re-work arises, the user does not have to manually re-assign the "assigned to" value to route to the specific participant who should be doing the rework... Attached is a screenshot of my sample workflow...

1.  I am unable to configure a workflow step toroute automatically to a participant in the workflow who previously acted in myworkflow?

Ex:  During the Developer Assignment Step in my workflow, Developer 1 was assigned to do development for this request.  He completes the developmentand submits his work for testing (UAT). During the testing phase (UAT,SAT,UAT), if at any point it did not pass and needsre-work, it should automatically be assigned back to the assigned developerwhich is developer 1 without having to manually assign the "Assigned To" value on my request interface to Developer1.

**Please take note that assignment of Developer and UAT Tester is dynamic.  Developers and Testers belong to a pool ofmore than 5 users.

How do i catch the assigned developer at the "Assign Developer/Analyst" workflow step and use that value to "auto-route" it back if a re-work is needed.

Have you done a similar workflow to this? How do i do this?

Thank you so much and I am looking forward to anyone who can help me with this.

Regards,

Lester

7 REPLIES
Avrille
Valued Contributor.

Re: How to configure "auto-routing controls" in demand management workflow

Hi Lester,

I suggest that you add hidden field and create a rule on field change with dependencies of Assigned To and Status(e.g. Developer Assignment) fields and upon re-routing back for rework, just add the token of this hidden field in the security of workflow step so the developer can have access to it.

Regards,

Avrille
Niraj Prabhu
Outstanding Contributor.

Lester,

At the transition of the Failed event, you can have a workflow execution step, and use a command ksc_store to assign the request back to the developer. You can use a token with the ksc_store to achieve this.

You can alternatively use a PL/SQL logic to achieve similar, if thats easier.

Let me know if you need specific assistance on how to do this.

Regards,
Niraj
Niraj P.
lester000
Frequent Contributor.

Hi Avrille,

I was on to trying your recommendation but at which point do i capture the value of the assigned to step at the "Assigned developer/Analyst" workflow step... I may also need more details on how to do this..

Thanks.

Lester

lester000
Frequent Contributor.

Hi Niraj,

Thank you for your reply, i sent you a private message regarding this.

Thanks.

Lester

Avrille
Valued Contributor.

Hi,

You can try below sample:

1.Create a Hidden Field and set Display set to NO

2.Create a Rule
Apply on Field Change
Dependencies:
1. Assigned To: contains any value
2. Status: Name of the Status in Step 3. Developer/Analyst Assignment
Logic:
SELECT [REQ.ASSIGNED_TO_USER_ID],[REQ.ASSIGNED_TO_NAME] from dual
Result: Hidden Field created in Step 1

3. Reroute the Failed transitions to Step 4.Development/Resolution Phase

4. Edit Step 4, in Security tab choose ‘Enter a User Defined Token’, Security Type is User ID and specify the token name of your hidden field eg. [REQD.P.HIDDEN_FIELD]

lester000
Frequent Contributor.

Hi Avrille,

thanks for your response, i will try this as well... a few questions though:

1. What validation should i use for the hidden field? (Validation in red font and Search Validation)

2. How were you able to come up with the logic? If you could help me understand why those values are selected..

My apologies, I am still new to ppm development.

Thanks.

Lester

Avrille
Valued Contributor.

Hi,

You can use textfield as validation since this is hidden and will automatically be populated by a rule. The result of the logic is the parameter content of your Assigned To field. Let me know if you need more details.