How to cancel a project

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
happa
Super Contributor.

How to cancel a project

Hello,

I am able to cancel a request/proposal through the 'Cancel Request ' Button in the request details page , but dont find any option to cancel a project.

For closed/cancelled project, I can find the 'reopen request 'button under the project details tab.

But, for other projects, I dont find the ' Cancel Request' button.

In the PPM document also, I didn't find anything on cancelling a project.

Can anyone please tell me how I will be able to cancel a project.

Thanks in Advance for your reply.

Best Regards,

Sanjeeban.

23 REPLIES
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How to cancel a project

Hi,

did you check which security group has the permission to cancel the project REQUEST?

Open the workbench, open your project request and check the above information in the Request Access tab.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Happa,

I'm not quite sure if we're on the same page, but in the project details window, you will see the buttons according to your configured workflow. So if you are expecting a cancel-button (as in the orange-buttons), you need to configure the workpan transitions, decision steps and executions accordingly. If you need certain actions (per security group visible and actionable) then configure your workflow accordingly.

Example:

If you have a step in your workflow that an approval needs to be given for a project by a certain security group then configure this to be set up accordingly. One possible workflow step result could then be that if an approval is NOT given, you either have the buttons to rework the project (loop back) or cancel the project.

I've taken the liberty of attaching the project management configuration guide. Check Figure 4-1 'Project Process' on page 26 for an example view on how to configure this. Have a look at step 8.

Does that help?

Best regards,

Dirk

- Kudos welcome at any time -

happa
Super Contributor.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Since, I have the Administrator Security Group, I have all the permissions create, edit, cancel, etc.

Though I have checked again, Admin has the cancel permission.

I am attaching the screenshot of the 'Cancel Request' button that is missing in the Project details page.

Best Regards,

Sanjeeban.

happa
Super Contributor.

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the quick reply.

First of all, I should have told you that  we are in 8.04 version.

Now, about the button, I didnt mean to say the workflow button.

I am attaching the screenshot of the button which is there in the proposal page to cancel the request.

I just want to know why this button is not present in the project details page.

Regarding workflow thing, I think you meant about a workflow step which will cancel the project(like on-hold step).

But, I just want to know, without adding the workflow button, can we cancel a project, like what we can do for the proposals.

Thanks in Advance for your reply.

Best Regards,

Sanjeeban.

Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Happa,

In PPM 9.12, HP has removed Cancel button from Project Request types by SP2, what a genius idea isn't it :) . Is it possible removed by SP4 in PPM 8 ?

PS: Please keep alive our forum via kudos the professionals

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

@happa: as per my knowledge, you have to be a Project Manager on that specific project in order to be able to cancel the project.

@Celil: man, I did not read anything about completely removing this button in 9.12. The only change in functionality I am aware of is that HP does not allow the DELETION of projects created from proposals.

cheers

alex

Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Alex,

We have talked about it with HP Support. They said, we should insert cancel function yourself in workflow (as other values). I mean they don't say delete it.
Celil

& PPM Solution Architect
happa
Super Contributor.

Hi Alex and Celil,

@Alex,

I have added admin user as the project manager, still I dont find the option to cancel project.

I have also created a test project from proposal in development environmet, in which I have kept admin as the project manager.

But, unfortunately, I am not able to cancel the project, although I had the option to cancel the proposal before the project was created.

In fact, I have the option to cancel all proposals irrespective of admin being project manager.

@Celil,

So, do you mean to say that only request/proposal can be cancelled and not project.

And, if I need to cancel a project, is it necessary to include the cancel phase in a workflow.

Or, is there any other way, by which a project can be cancelled like we do for the proposals.

Thanks in Advance to all.

Best Regards,

Sanjeeban.

Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Happa,

No, don't. Cancel button on the request is canceling request, workflow, Staffing Profile, Financial Summary. But NOT Work Plan. You must cancel work plan manually.

In addition to that I didn't talk about that topic below messages. I have talked about PPM 9.1 SP2 and removing cancel button and what HP think about it.

Finally, Did you check if PPM 8.0 SP4 cancel button has been removed ?
Celil

& PPM Solution Architect
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi folks,

ok, you so leave me no choice ;-)

I dug around a bit and found the reason for the behaviour for not being able to cancel PROJECTS.

Page 174 of the 9.12 release notes (attached for your reading) states the following:

After you cancel a project by click the Cancel Request button at the bottom of the
project, the corresponding work plan is still active. And you cannot cancel this
active work plan. (QCCR1L39742)

In addition I found:

QCCR1L28290 - "How to cancel active workplans once a project has been cancelled?" and you can view the document using the following link:
http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/FID/DOCUMENTUM_QCCR1L28290

Above that, I found the following note from RnD in an incident:

The "Cancel request" button has been removed from requests that are driving projects. The 'Cancel Request' button is valid and useful in a proper request, however as part of a project, using that button causes data inconsistency problems

This applies to PPM-versions 8.02 and forward as well as 9.12 and forward.

The only way as of now is creating an execution step which can cancel the whole project at a certain time as I've already described above and which is documented in the guide that I also attached.

I hope that clarifies any open questions.

Best regards, have a great day,

Dirk

-  Kudos welcome at any time - 

happa
Super Contributor.

Hi Celil,

Thanks a lot for your fast reply.

I dont know if it has been removed in 8.04 or not.

But, in production environment we are still on 8.03. in 8.03 also I am not able to see the cancel button.

want to ask you one thing, was the cancel button present for projects in 7.5 versions or earlier.

I have seen a lot of projects which was cancelled back in 2008, 2009 when we were in 7.1 and 7.5.

I wonder, how were those projects cancelled, since we dont have the cancel phase in the project workflow.

Best Regards,

Sanjeeban.

TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

Hi, 

We've just upgraded from 7.5 sp7 to 8.04.

There was Cancel button in 7.5 sp7, I used it many many times.

Regards

TM

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi all,

see my message above fom today with explanations. Seems we cross-posted and my message might have not been read.

Best regards,

Dirk

happa
Super Contributor.

Hi Dirk,

You are right, I posted my previous message before I read your views.

Apology for that.

And, I have found the same thing in 8.04 release notes also which you pointed out in 9.12.

Now, it seems including Cancel Project execution step in a worflow is the only option to cancel the project.

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs and all the explanations.

Best Regards,

Sanjeeban.

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

let me add my 2-cents on this: having a Cancel step in the workflow brings in some disadvantages. First of all, you have to implement it as a hanging step, in order for the Cancel option to be available at any point in time within the workflow execution. Hence, the OOTB portlet Request List where you have set the Pending for My Action option, as well as the Request Search with the same option activated, will not function properly, in terms that it will always show (in your situation) all projects regardless of the status, since the project manager has to take a decision in an active step(the cancel step).

We had to replace all OOTB portlets with custom portlets in our implementations in order to overcome this problem.

We are using hanging steps for Cancel in almost all our workflows in order to overcome another gap in PPM functionalities: if you use the OOTB Cancel button, you cannot configure any notification whatsoever, so people who have worked on a request might end up discovering that their request has simply vanished. We have already raised an ER to HP on this, and the answer was: This is a valid ER, but there is no plans to implement in the next 12 months. No Comment.

cheers

alex

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Alex,

no comment is no good. State the ER and publish it here in a new thread. Describe the problem, c/p the disadvantages of the floating button and advise interested parties (the community contributing to this board is increasing) to submit their email-address to this ER. The email-notification will not only inform about status-changes of the ER but above that, more importantly, raises the customer base by one count, which brings the ER back in focus of the CAB. With every additional customer voice demanding a change, it becomes likelier it will be implemented.

Better than no comment ;-)

Best regards,

Dirk

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi, Dirk,

you are right - I should post the ER link here: QCCR1L43444.

In my previous post I have mentioned the problem and disadvantages. The ”No Comment” refers to the HP's resolution on the ER.

cheers

alex

Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

I'm thinking about maybe handling this through a "cancel a request" request type & workflow that would allow administrative users to select a request, enter a note, and then use ksc_move_request_workflow to "jump" the selected request to the Canceled step. Associated workplan & staffing profiles could be canceled as well, if necessary with their ksc commands.

Thoughts, anyone?

Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

BTW before 9.12 you could re-open the project request, cancel the workplan & staffing profile, and re-cancel the project. I've done this before.

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi, Erik,

you can also reopen and cancel project in 9.12 as well.

With regards to the workflow for the administrative users for cancelling projects: it would be better to route the workflow to an automatic step which takes care of cancelling the staffing profile, financial summary and workplan as well.

cheers

alex

Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Unless your 9.12 is different from mine (and the OP) then you can only cancel via a workflow transition to Cancel step. We have tons of in-flight projects that sometimes need to be canceled from any given step. Projects no longer have the Cancel button, and oddly enough we're troubleshooting an issue in our Prod environment where pressing the Delete Project button causes a database deadlock that locks PPM until a DBA can kill that session and force a rollback. :(

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi, Erik,

that's exactly what I am saying as well, with the addition of an automatic step to close all entities related to the project in order to preserve the consistency in the database.

cheers

alex

philipwood
Super Contributor.

Hi,

As a workaround -

We have a project type that uses a driving process that makes no allowance for cancellation. During upgrade testing 7.5 -> 9.1 no one in testing noticed that canceling functionality is no longer available.

We have made the driving process field on the request editable by the technical administrators and have created a workflow with one cancellation execution step.

When the need arises to cancel a project we have the technical administrators change the driving workflow to the cancellation workflow - which then cancels the project upon a request save.

Ugly, but it works :)

Regards

Philip Wood