Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

How to add an activity line to Task Detail List?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

How to add an activity line to Task Detail List?

Hi,

In task details, there is Activity list, I need to edit that list and also make it mandatory.

I've checked the Validations, but no such a thing.

I might have missed it.

Any help is appreciated.

Pics are attached.

Regards

TM

5 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: How to add an activity line to Task Detail List?

The activity list is managed from the User Interface.  Go to Open -> Administration -> Time Managemet -> [Manage Activities | Create Activity].

As for making the field required, this is done more at the time tracking level.  In your time sheet policy, you can require that the Activity field be required for tasks on the timesheet.  The Activity field in the task cannot be make to be required. 

I did have one client that made a User Data field called Activity and made that required and setup a report that the PM would run setting up the project work plan to update the OOTB Activity field with the UD field or the other way around if they put the data in the Activity field and didn't put it in the UD field.

TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Jason,

Managing the Activity list solves my problem 50%.

Are you telling me that the Task detail screen is customizable?

If yes, how to customize it?

Regards

TM

Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

The task detail page as you see it is not customizable.  However, you do have the option of configuring Task Detail User Data.  This will available as a tab in the Task Details screen, like Costs and Resources.  I've used this for several clients to capture extra information for the task.  One, as I mentioned before, used it to force the requirement of an Activity.  Another used it track SAP Order Numbers.

TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

Just a quick question,

Where can I fiind any docs about user data fields?

Thanks...

Regads

TM

Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

On page 39 of the 9.1 Project Mgmt Configuration Guide.