Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we cancel the workplan of cancelled projects ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Sevilay
Collector

How do we cancel the workplan of cancelled projects ?

Hi,

there is a project which is cancelled by a project manager without changing the work plan's status.Since the status of the work plan remains active all the tasks which belongs to this project is seen by the project team and they can edit effort for these task.
i want to cancel the work plan also as an admin.How can i do this for the cancelled project?
Thanks in advance.
13 REPLIES
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Re: How do we cancel the workplan of cancelled projects ?

You can use the command Called 'update_workplan_Status'

But if you cancel by clicking the cancel button in the Status Section of request, This option cannot be used. You can use as a part of Workflow Step.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

'ksc_update_workplan_status'

Sorry, The above is the correct command name.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re-open the project, cancel the work plan, and re-close the project.
Sevilay
Collector

Hi Erik,

first of all thank you for your interest.But i don't know how to repoen the project.Because it is cancelled from the process,when i open the project as an admin i can't edit the work plan status or i can't change the project status.
Which access grants can enable this for the admin user ?

Thanks again.
Erik Cole_1
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

In the workflow that project uses, you need to configure a Reopen Step - when you open the workflow in the workbench, it's on the 'Worlflow' tab. Then when you look at the project, you should get a 'Reopen Request' button at the bottom right of the Project Details page.

Typically, I set a special 'admin' workflow step as the Reopen step and I give myself transitions to send the request immediately back to Closed or Canceled, or to other steps as needed.
Sevilay
Collector

Thanks Erik,

i will try it but first i have to consult my manager,this can be risky.I don't want to change the normal flow of the processes.

Thanks again.
Sevilay
Collector

Hi Erik,

when i add this reopen state to the current workflow,can it affect the already created projects.Because my aim is to change the status of the work plans of already created and cancelled projects.
Or can it be done through access grants,enabling admin to enter all the fields of the project without considering the status of the project?

Thanks very much.
Erik Cole_1
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Re-open is for already closed or canceled requests. when you select a workflow step for Re-open, then pressing the button will send the request (project) directly to that step.

Unfortunately, anyone who can access the request can also access the Reopen button. There's no access grant for that, which is one of the reasons why we create an 'admin-only' step and re-open to that step. But we also only enable the Re-open on a case-by-case basis, to avoid other users 'playing' with it.

Re-open is the only way you can modify a closed or canceled request, unless you directly update the database (which is obviously not recommended). Whatever status you assign to the step will determine the status dependencies that apply to whether/which fields are editable.

I've enclosed a shot of how this works in our workflow. Step 10 is the re-open step, and the administrator (me) sends the request back to either to a Closed or Canceled state. Steps 11 & 12 use executions to automatically change the status of the workplan/staffing/budget/benefit to 'Closed' or 'Canceled' as appropriate. More on that here:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1353809
Erik Cole_1
Esteemed Contributor

Oops, forgot the graphic.
Sevilay
Collector

Hi Erik,

i really thank you very much.i created the AdminReOpen decision state in the workflow and added the admin in the security tab.There are two validation steps,one is related to previous state (admin goes back to the previos state before the cancelled state,is it risky ?),the other one is related to cancelled state (admin goes back to the cancelled state again after making necessary changes).

My problem is that,everyone can see this "Reopen Request" and can edit the fields on the form.But they can't see the action buttons,but it doesn't make sense,they can edit and save.

How can i handle this situation?
Erik Cole_1
Esteemed Contributor

That's the situation I was talking about above. When you are done with your change to a project, go and set that Re-open Step drop-down back to a blank value so it gets 'disabled'.
Sevilay
Collector

Hi Erik,

i did as you said and i made the necessary modifications.
Your post was very heplfull.Thanks again.

Have a good day :)
Sevilay
Collector

i benefited from Erik's post.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event