cancel

Hidden Field Rule

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jamie Pick
Super Contributor.

Hidden Field Rule

We have a hidden field (it's filled with the current date) that is used as the dependency of an advanced rule that should fire a "showMessage" UI Rule. If the field is setup to be not visible, the rule doesn't fire. However, if we make the field visible, it works as expected.

This seems like a bug, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something else that I was missing. Has anyone else ever run into this behavior?

Thanks,

Jamie
5 REPLIES
Nisha Kurien
Honored Contributor.

Re: Hidden Field Rule

From my understanding of how this works, the status dependency overrides the advanced rules.

So for every advanced rule that you create, you will also have to create additional rules to set a field to be visible, required and editable (on page load event).

Using advanced rules has an advantage but you will also have to take care of every other scenario. For example-If you set a field to fire a message, you should also write another rule to turn this message off.

Setting a field's visibility using the status dependency, overrides the advanced rules.

Hope this helps.

- Nisha Kurien
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Make the field visible only to Administrators and see how it works.

Thanks.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Jamie Pick
Super Contributor.

Setting the field to only be visible to ITG Administrator worked. Thanks for that idea.

What didn't work:
- making the field not visible in the Fields section
- making the field not visible by the Status Dependencies

This still seems strange to me, that in order for this Rule to work the field has to be visible (especially considering how close this scenario was to one on the configuration guide), but I did get it working using security.

Thanks,

Jamie
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

If you wish even Adminstrators should not see this field. Then create a new Security group called 'Hidden Security Group' and assign no one to this security group.

And make the field visible only to this 'Hidden Security Group'.

We are touching the mouth around the neck :-))

Regards,
Mahendran M
prabu.karunanit
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

You can also try this option.

If you validating in the Not Submitted step,
make that dummy date field visible only and write a rule on creation hide that field.

Now just try the same Showmessage (UI Rule).

See how it works.. :)

thanks
Prabu