Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP PPM integration with TFS

Highlighted
shijubch
Regular Collector

HP PPM integration with TFS

Hi,

can anybody share if they have tried out integration of TFS with HP PPM.

Currently we have integration version control tool named PVCS.

Kindly share the steps or manual.

Regards,

Shiju

12 REPLIES
d4y4n4
Frequent Visitor

Re: HP PPM integration with TFS

Hi,

Currently we do not have any plugin for TFS, however RnD is aware of this situation and they have logged an internal enhancement request to created it:

Enhancement QCCR1L38253 : Microsoft Team Foundation Server plug-in for PPM

There is not documentation for this. Nevertheless, there are seeded object types like "PVCS File Migration". Their commands could be inspected to figure out how to implement the integration of the version control system. It is possible to integrate PPM with any third part application that permits a command line interface. We have had several customers integrate PPM with version control systems such as RCS, pvcs and CVS. Each integration requires custom object types and commands for PPM to interact with the version control system via the command line. The integration is usually configured by the customer or by Professional Services consultants as this is considered a customization.

Regards,
Dayana
bzdafro
Collector

Hi

We have been using PVCS for years.  I was curious how you have your object types setup to get your file revisions?  We have a filename field where the user can enter the  filename.  We then grab the file with the right promo group.   I tried to use file chooser, but its not really setup to show revision history.   We also have some workflows that use labels and scan for them to grab the file revisions.

Thanks

dishmal
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm curious about this as well.  Does anyone know of any sort of addins for either PPM or TFS that allows some integration between them?

Kerim KILIC
Frequent Visitor

we suggesting that integrating tfs with qc then qc with ppm. as i know there is a ootb integration between them. otherwise you need a custom integration
Subramanian Pal
Occasional Advisor

Its definitely possible to integrate PPM with TFS. I did it about 4 years ago and I dont have any documentation on it now.

Since TFS is hosted on windows server, I used the cygwin utility with TFS command line commands to check out the code.Once the code was checked out, it can then be ftped across to your destination server. 

Thanks

Subbu

sarmishra
Occasional Contributor

Hello Shiju,

Were you able to integrate TFS with Deployment management? As I would need some guidance on the same. I too have to integrate TFS with PPM Deployment management. Your inputs would be really helpful. Thanks.

Regards,

Sarita Mishra

SameetPatro
Super Collector

Integration HP PIMP with PVCS

Hi Shiju,

Good Morning,

Can you provide some guidance on integration of PVCS with HP PPM. I too have to integrate PVCS with PPM. Your inputs would be really helpful.

Regards,

Sameet Patro

bzdafro
Collector

Re: Integration HP PIMP with PVCS

We have been using it with our deployment workflows using 2 fields. 

PVCS source path using token = P_SUB_PATH       which is set to a directory chooser validation

another called PVCS Filename using token = P_ARCHIVE_FILENAME which uses file chooser validation.  

In the file chooser validation, I have the environment token set to [P_SRC_ENV]   and  this token is pointing to our PVCS server.  

When you create  a pkg line  you click source path and it jumps into the PDB and you select a folder in the PDB

Then after you select the folder you clicki nto the filename field, and this will jump into the PDB folder you selected

and show all the files in the pdb at that level.   You select and your done.  Note that ours shows -arc at the end

of the filename,   I have not found a way to prevent that.   Also, you can you the multi validations and when you click

that you can select more than one file at a time and PPM will auto create each line when you click done.  That is nice.

However one other point.  My experience with using all this is its not extrememly fast.  Sometimes when I click the directory chooser, PPM will take 1-2 min to connect and return the folder listings.  same can happen when clicking the

file chooser.  Some of our users have complained about this. 

If anyone has found better ways to manage this, please let me know.   Especially that are faster, dont include the -arc, dont allow users to traverse backwards up to other PDBS, or can do it in one field VS select the folder... then selecting the filename.  

SameetPatro
Super Collector

Re: Integration HP PPM with PVCS

Hi,

Thanks for the below info, Do you have any document on the integration of the same. It will be really helpful.

You can reach out to me at email-id :- spatro@deloitte.com

Thanks & Regards,

Sameet Patro

SatishSambasiva
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Subramaniam,

I am currently using TFS as my Version tool. We are in the process of integrating PPM with TFS. Would be great if you could help me with some sort of your experience on this. Alternatively, you can reach me at satishyaa@gmail.com

TFS version: TFS 2010 - Win 2008 R2 - SQL Server 2008 R2

PPM Version: 9.22 Win 2008 R2 - Oracle 11G

Cheers,

Satish Sambasivam

AlexisArce
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Satish,

I hope you are right, I would greatly appreciate you to share me your experience, since I did not find anything on this topic.

Regards,

Alexis

Shan-Retail
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi 

anybody has a workflow diagram for HP ALM Integration with TFS in detail?

Please share it if you have with you.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event