The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP PPM application server (Ver 7.5.0 SP2): JAVA.EXE has memory leakage problem

Highlighted
Danish_1
Acclaimed Contributor

HP PPM application server (Ver 7.5.0 SP2): JAVA.EXE has memory leakage problem

In the production environment, we have 3 separate servers; Application Server, Web Server and Database Server. Application server configuration is as (MS Windows 2003 SP1-CPU 2.0GHz-4GB RAM-Hosting HP PPM application 7.5.0 SP2). Web server configuration is as (MS Windows 2003 SP1-CPU 2.41GHz-1GB RAM-Hosting Apache Server 2.2) and Database server is running Oracle 10g.

On the application server, JAVA.EXE is consuming lot of memory. Over the period of time (depending on the system usage), the memory consumption increases and it continues. The end users also complain that system is very slow and taking long time then normal. The problem has started showing in last few months (as users have actually started using the system).

System Stats are as following:

Parameter Kintana ItgDS DashboardDS ---------------------------- ------- ----- ----------- Connections count 9 7 3 Connections available 9 7 3 Connections in use 0 0 0 Max. Connections in use - 7 3 Pool Size 45 45 15 Total Available 45 45 15 Wait queue size 0 - - Avg. connection request time 0 ms - - Connection recycle pct 100 % - - Connection wait pct 0 % - - Stmt cache hit pct 0 % - - Total connection requests 78934 - - Logging enabled false - -

To bring the server back to stability, we have to restart the computer. Currently, we are restarting server every midnight so that JAVA.EXE process can release the memory and function normally.

Any quick response will be highly appreciated. Many Thanks.

Danny
10 REPLIES
Bhavin Thakkar
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP PPM application server (Ver 7.5.0 SP2): JAVA.EXE has memory leakage problem

Hi Danny,

We also have similar architecture and PPM Version at our organisation.

Quite often we have seen Out of Memory Error & Java Heap Space error in server logs too. To be able to produce hprof file where in HP can investigate the issue you will have to add following to your server.conf:

com.kintana.core.server.JVM_OPTIONS=-Duser.language=en -Duser.region=AU -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

We have raised this with HP and is still under investigation. But the last update we got is that the excessive memory usage could be because of Large amount of audit information being loaded for Projects and Staffing Profile.

Not sure if this is related to your issue but might help a bit.

Kind Regards,
Bhavin
Danish_1
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP PPM application server (Ver 7.5.0 SP2): JAVA.EXE has memory leakage problem

Thank you Bhavan for your response.

HP has requested me to add following parameter in server.conf

com.kintana.core.server.JVM_OPTIONS=-Duser.language=en -Duser.region=US -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

This is exactly what you said.

I would like to know that have your problem been resolved? How did you work to avoid audit information?

Regards
DANNY
Sandeep K
Super Collector

Hello
We are also facing the same problem where the overall memory usage increases over time and the PPM process needs to be restarted to bring back to stability.

We are on version 7.1 SP 10.
Its on Linux with 4 CPUs and 8 GB RAM.
The init and max heap size is set to 1028m
and the permspace is set to 256m.
It is a 2 node cluster one for users and the other for processes.
There are about 1500 users with about 150 concurrent users.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Bhavin Thakkar
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi ALL,

HP has confirmed that this is a defect and will possibly fixed in PPM 7.5 SP6.

While I dont really agree to their reply as it might have been accepted as defect as they are not able to find the issue.

Very strange.

Cheers,
Bhavin
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Danny,
we had also issues with out of memory errors on our prod app server which is the same version and platform as yours.
After long investigations we found out that the heap and permgen spaces of the JVM were not controlled by the server.conf parameters but defaulted back to 550m/128m whenever we started the PPM nodes as a windows service.
This behaviour seems to be Windows only and seems not to affect single PPM instance systems.
Finally we could workaround this issue by setting the two server.conf parameters for every node of the cluster (so once before the first @node and then after every node).
The nodes run stable now and we restart them only once a week though we don't really know if this is still necessary.
You can find out if you have the same issue with jconsole or a process explorer.
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

We are seeing this problem now on 7.5 SP6 running dual servers on AIX. Has anyone found a fix or heard anything from HP? We will be scheduling more frequent application bounces for now to minimize the impact.
Raka_1
Collector

we are having an issue with data corruption. There is table Financial_Summary_ID and we are missing data in there. 5 of the Financial Summary are not there. We are on 8.01 Linux. I know that no one can delete Financial Summary from the Standard Interface. This has happened only within the last week. We did a database refresh of DEV from PROD and that showed us that there was a problem with only 1 missing financial summary and the refresh was done like 2 weeks back. So this is happening before 2 weeks. I am not sure as to why we are continuously losing this data. Right now it is just 5 I hope this does not exceed.
Gerardo Gamez
Super Collector

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem with out of memory error, I already added MAX_PPERM_SIZE, MAX_HEAP_SIZE, SERVER_INIT_HEAP_SIZE parameters on server.conf and still getting the error, does anyone could find a solution or a workaround to fix this problem?

Thanks and regards.

Gerardo.

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

HP provided a hot fix for 7.5 SP6 that resolved the problem we were seeing. I believe the fix was incorporated into 9.14.

Gerardo Gamez
Super Collector

Thanks Jim, so I have to upgrade my version of PPM maybe to 9.14.

Regards.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event