Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP PPM and Excel Integration

Highlighted
Vsalian
Regular Collector

HP PPM and Excel Integration

Hi,

Does any1 know how to extract info from PPM in to excel.

I basically need Budgets and Project info for all the projects extracted automatically.

Any help would be appreciated. Are there any tools for exporting data out of PPM.

Regards,

V

18 REPLIES
JudeHealy
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP PPM and Excel Integration

Hi V,

There is a built in Export to Excel funtion in PPM, but it can only be used in certain areas for the application. Please refer to the product documentation for areas where it can be used.

For use in any other areas, we do not have a tool for this.

Kind regards

Eben van Wyk
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi V,

As long as you have a portlet that shows the necessary information you need to report on, you can export that information to Excel.

--ppmguy

Vsalian
Regular Collector

Thanks for the response.

I know I can export the dashboards into excel from PPM but for my reporting structure which I have built in Excel, I need excel to integrate with PPM and pull that portlet in to excel(automated). Is this possible? The portlets(standard portlet) are all set/ready in PPM, but I cant integrate it with excel. Thanks again

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi VS,

while it is possible to schedule reports, it is unfortunately NOT possible out of the box to schedule any portlets to export their data to Excel. There is also no 'integration' that I know of that would 'pull' data from PPM by Excel.

Best regards,

Dirk

haciyanli
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

It is possible to extract the data out of PPM and customize it according to your needs. Have you tried to create a data mart?

Regards

Sukru

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Hi V,

The best option to export will be to create a Report with you request content and then you can also do the formating in your desired style. Then finally you can export you content in excel.

This proccess can also be automated by scheduling the report.

Utkarsh.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
sebastianrm
Super Collector

Hi, I may try 2 options depending on data complexity and automation.

First is to build XML from a report. This will be easily opened by excel.

Second is to conect Excel through ODBC.

Hope this helps,

S

Cat_2
Regular Collector

We have had similar issues. You can create a standard report jsp but even if you tell it to push to Excel format (via Request type content) PPM will ignore that and wrap it as html. For our Excel reports, as much as I dislike this option, we have stored procedures that will generate the excel file and the report results just return a link to the new file.

We are also looking at include the POI jar in the main lib so we can create reports using that. I would consider it temporary and custom though.

I imagine the inclusion of Business Objects in PPM 9.01 will help, but there's a whole new system you'll need knowledgeable resources for. If the reports in BusObj are like the PPM ones, they get you about 70-80% of the way there only.

Dinesh Mistry
Occasional Contributor

I am told that you can use Web Services to integrate directly with Excel for real-time reporting. If anyone has Web Services expertise (or can point me to any resources, I have the Web Services Guide), I would be delighted to connect , collaborate and share expertise. I  want to explore this capability, but am relatively new to PPM, so am on a steep learning curve.

BusinessUser100
Acclaimed Contributor

Hey, did you ever figure out the answer to this issue? I'd prefer to not have to build a report each time and manually export to excel. Thanks.

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

You can create a PPM report to automatically export the data into excel and also you can schedule this report to run at any specific timeline.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Cat_2
Regular Collector

Outside of using stored procs to create excel file how do you do this exactly - "You can create a PPM report to automatically export the data [to excel]"?

philipwood
Regular Collector

Don't know if this helps.

See Microsoft Knowledge Base article: KB271572:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271572

From it:

"Excel can persist storage information in a format that is an HTML/XML hybrid. When you save an Excel 2000 workbook as a Web page, Excel creates a file that contains a combination of HTML tags and XML tags that have special meaning to Excel. A workbook saved in this format can go from Excel to the browser and back to Excel again (a "round trip") without losing workbook integrity."

When producing a custom JSP report this simplifies the production of an Excel readable file considerably.

I haven't done this for a production report, but have played with this in development environments in 7.1 a while ago.

The one limitation I see is that Excel requires a file per worksheet, so multiple worksheet files will be a real pain to do.

When doing this, rather than relying on the spec given in the KB article, one can use Excel to make a mockup. You then save this mockup as web page. Use this as a template for your JSP report.

In Office 2007. Save As, Other Formats, Choose Web Page as type, with the Selection: Sheet option

As far as I can tell this is how PPM exports to Excel. If you open up with a text editor one of the exported files, you will see a similar format.

Philip Wood

Hugo_Daniel
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Utkarsh

I am totally new with PPM.

I Scheduled GSS - Field Change Notification Report for running everyday at certain hour but it is not working.

Scheduling Parameters

Run Report On: 12/2/11 06:00 AM PST
Repeat Every; 1 Days
Until: 12/31/11 06:00 AM PST

Gruic
Acclaimed Contributor

Hello, our company makes a very affordable piece of software that does just this (it's less than $100 for the license).  It's an excel plugin that will allow you upload/download data directly from PPM.  We call our product Desktop Analyzer.  Most common use case for our customers is they like to download project budget data, manipulate it in excel, and then upload it back into SAP.  Our product uses SAP APIs so we do respect the locking mechanisms in SAP.  Check it out at

http://www.desktopanalyzer.net

Tell em Mike sent you!

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi, Gruic / Mike,

from the product description it is not very clear if your product is integrated with PPM or SAP's Solution for Project Management. PPM is a generic term - and HP is well known to name their products using generic naming.

Please advise.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Gruic
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Alex,

To keep things very simple and high level, our product simulates a subset of the NetWeaver Business Client functionality.  When you use Desktop Analyzer, SAP sees it as an NWBC connection.  Currently, almost all of our customer use cases involve connectivity to the PPM module of SAP.  We can customize the base software for use with your specific requirements, it is very extensible.

Please keep in mind this is not an HP product and I do not work for HP.  If you contact me off list (mike A-T platinumdb.com) I'd be happy to schedule a quick demo of the software and review it's capabilities.   I'm just trying to offer a low cost alternative to the original poster's question about SAP PPM and Excel integration.  Hopefully this helps clear up any confusion that you had.

Mike

Kerim KILIC
Frequent Visitor

operational reporting
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event