Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

HP PPM Workflow Security - limit 1 of many Workflow Step Transitions to one Security Group

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
M_A_A
Trusted Contributor.

HP PPM Workflow Security - limit 1 of many Workflow Step Transitions to one Security Group

We are currently using HP PPM version 9.22.

I have a PPM Workflow Step, Create ALM Project, which has 3 transitions out of it -

• On Hold
  • Withdrawn
  • ALM Setup Complete

The Workflow Step has 2 security groups that can work within the step -

• Approvers Security Group
  • ALM System Admin Security Group

I would like for the ALM System Admin Security Group to be able to perform all 3 transition moves.

However, I would like for Approvers Security Group to only be able to select between On Hold or Withdrawn transition moves.  The Approvers Security Group cannot be allowed to move to the ALM Setup Complete step transition.

I cannot find anyway to configure such a restriction on Approvers Security Group only, is this possible?

Michael A.

8 REPLIES
Amishra
Honored Contributor.

Re: HP PPM Workflow Security - limit 1 of many Workflow Step Transitions to one Security Group

G'day Michael,

i am not sure i entirely get your problem statement here; but let me try:

I would like for the ALM System Admin Security Group to be able to perform all 3 transition moves. - AJ: This is easy, have ALM System Admin Sec group on all the 3 steps..

However, I would like for Approvers Security Group to only be able to select between On Hold or Withdrawn transition moves. - AJ: When you say select between 'On Hold' or 'Withdrawn'; do you mean that If member of Approver sec group actions on 'On Hold' step then he should not be able to action 'Withdrawn' step and vice-versa? . If so, then you can try to have a dynamic security group i.e. token based and populate the token in the execution step in between On Hold and Withdrawn.  

The Approvers Security Group cannot be allowed to move to the ALM Setup Complete step transition. - AJ: Remove Approver security group from ALM Setup Complete step.

Not sure if this helps, but think on thel ines of dynamic security group........... 

Cheers,

Ajay

M_A_A
Trusted Contributor.

Re: HP PPM Workflow Security - limit 1 of many Workflow Step Transitions to one Security Group

Ajay, good to hear from you and thanks for your quick reply.

I thought there might be something like either an extra workflow step would be needed, and/or something with a different type of security.  But I just do not have that knowledge or experience.

Please refer to the attached workflow diagram i have already developed.  I have placed notes on what I have there.

Looking forward to hearing your reply!

Michael A.

Amishra
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Well Michael - saw your workflow and requirement - I dont think it is fairly straight forward to achieve that, because PPM doesnt have that feature of dynamically changing the transitions based on different approvers or sec groups etc.. 

Having said that, as a workaround i would propose to split step 6 into two - one for approver and one for ALM system admin.. The approver step will have their transition and ALM sys admin will have their own.. So basically when you are coming from step 5, the transition should go to step 6 and step 11. 

I have come up with a mockup diagram, please refer attached.. 

Let me know if you have any questions........ 

Cheers,

Ajay

ArunKr
Respected Contributor.

The only way possible is to create a custom function in RequestRulesUserLibrary.js and call in request type rules in before button action event type.

You should pass the flag (visible - true/false), button name, and logged in user

example:

setButtonVisilbe (false, 'ALM Setup Complete', [SYS.USER_ID])

In the setButtonVisilbe() funtion write condition such that it checks the logged in user if he is a part of the  allowed security group and if so, show the button else hide for all others.

in below example, im checking if the logged in user is admin user or others... you should edit and modify according to your needs...

elementId=document.getElementById(“DB”+i+”_”+j);
			//if button is found
			if(elementId)
			{
				if (elementId.innerHTML==button)
				{
					if( flag ) 
					{
						//show the button
						elementId.parentNode.style.visibility=‘visible’;
					}
					else
					{
						//if user is not admin
						if (user_id > 1) 
						{
							//hide the button
							elementId.parentNode.style.visibility=‘hidden’;
						}
					}
				}
			}
M_A_A
Trusted Contributor.

Ajay,

Thank you for feedback and workflow mockup.  After  your initial reply I too tried a few scenarios out were an extra workflow step is added for the difference in security groups based on a Decisions workflow step to split off the 2 groups.  It did somewhat provide the solution i was hoping for, but it seemed liked a work-around solution since the "security on a transition" is not available in PPM at this time.

I will be presenting your solution to my management to see if they would like for me to either:

1. Not add any different functionality at all for the 2 security groups at this workflow step.
  2. Split the workflow at "In System Setup" so that each security group takes a different workflow step, prior to "In Progress" workflow step.  Very straightforward and simple to provide, but a workaround for the solution
  3. Write a custom rules script and implement.  This seems to be the most solid of the solutions, but would require programming and customization.  My management had asked me to avoid customization if possible and use "out of the box" configurations on our initial implementation of Demand Management.

Thank you for workflow mockup and feedback.  This was most helpful and informative!

Michael A.

M_A_A
Trusted Contributor.

ArunKr, I like your solution.  I knew I would need to either add additional workflow step(s) or a custom process to accomplish this, as i was not finding any sort of "Transition Security" to configure.

I have not yet added any custom scripts to this area of PPM as yet, but I am comfortable doing this.  As well, I have added several Request Type Rules already, just not based on scripts I created.

When time allows, I will test your example and become familiar with creating custom scripts here.  However, my management has asked that on this initial implementation of Demand Management I avoid customization and programming, attempting to stay with "out-of-the-box" configurations.

Personally, I think this is the solution.

Thank you for replying and providing the example.

Michael A.

Amishra
Honored Contributor.

Thank Michael.. 

With regards to changes what ArunKr is suggesting is really insteresting one; I havent done it, so maybe i will give it a try in my spare time.. 

The only concern with changing those files are upgrades; In future if you upgrade, i believe all these needs to be catered for.

Cheers,

Ajay

M_A_A
Trusted Contributor.

Ajay, I agree completely.  As soon as I can get some time I am going to start experimenting with this type of script programming, as it appears to have a lot of potential for this as well as other uses.

And we too always have a concern about customization on out-of-the-box systems and the impact it brings for future System Updates.  But I also know for user needs sometimes it is a necessity and beneficial when documented well.

Thanks again to you both for all your support on this matter.  It is very much appreciated.

Michael A.