cancel

HP PPM Time Management Estimates vs. Actuals

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
M_A_A
Trusted Contributor.

HP PPM Time Management Estimates vs. Actuals

We are using HP PPM version 9.22.  We are creating Requests using Demand Management.  I have set up Time Management Activities for all possible Request work items and have associated the Activities with appropriate Requests

In the HP PPM Workbench, for each Demand Management Request Type, I have configured on the Resources Tab to 1) Use Time Management to track actuals, and 2) Activity is required for time logged against requests.

Once a Request is approved we would like to estimate the breakdown of hours by all Activities for the Request, at the level of each individual Activity.

I cannot find anyway to do this in HP PPM.

Example:

• Request ABC has been submitted and approved
  • Manager indicates "Activity - Designing" will have an estimate of 40 hours for Request ABC
  • Manager indicates "Activity - Coding" will have an estimate of 80 hours for Request ABC
  • Manager indicates "Activity - Implementing" will have an estimate of 10 hours for Request ABC
  • Worker enters in time in Time sheet, selects Time sheet "Add Request" adding Request ABC, then selects line item Request ABC on Time sheet and selects "Line Details", and selects "Activity - Designing", "Activity - Coding".
  • Worker enters actual hours against the Activities line details.

That is the scenario.  Then we wish to report Actuals vs Estimates by each Request, and each Request's individual Activities.

6 REPLIES
Amishra
Honored Contributor.

Re: HP PPM Time Management Estimates vs. Actuals

Hi There,
I dont think you will be able to get the details at the activity level, having said that have you tried 'Analyze Assignment Load' portlet.
It will give you the forecast along with the actuals.

You will need to have a staffing profile, set the demand and allocate a resource to it.
Attached is the sample extract of a resource showing the capacity, demand and actuals.
Rows highlighted in pink is the demand, the rows highlighted in green are actuals.

Have a look and see if that helps you.

Else you are better off doing some custom reports..

Cheers,
Ajay

M_A_A
Trusted Contributor.

The main problem is Work Allocations only work at the Request level, when we want allocations of estimates at the Activity level within a Request.  In addition, we have no fixed resources by Request or Activity, so that we can enter an estimate for a resource.

Currently we are only using the Demand Management and Time Management modules, so we are not running with Projects or Proposals being used.

Is there a way to provide entry of an estimate at the Activity level by Demand Request?

Amishra
Honored Contributor.

Yep that is how work-allocations work.

For the forecast, looks like a custom report for you, can I check:

When you say:

• Manager indicates "Activity - Designing" will have an estimate of 40 hours for Request ABC
  • Manager indicates "Activity - Coding" will have an estimate of 80 hours for Request ABC
  • Manager indicates "Activity - Implementing" will have an estimate of 10 hours for Request ABC

Where does he actually indicate it.. do you have any screen captures for me to have a look.

For the Actuals have you tried to run the Actual Time Summary report, it provides the time logged along with the Activity.

Cheers,

Ajay

M_A_A
Trusted Contributor.

Ajay, Thank youi so much for responding to my post.

First, we have not implemented anything yet, I am just attempting to setup Time Management and Demand Management modules per my management's requirements.

This is one of the last few requirements from management i cannot figure out how to make work.

I can create a Demand Request, set a Work Allocation to it, and track actual time to Budget hours, at the Demand Request level.  And i have reported this out of PPM as well.

Its the part you referenced - 

that management would like to see and that i cannot figure how to do.  that is to associate Activities within a Demand Request, and put an estimate to each Request's Activity line item.

Is this even possible to do?  See 2 attachments

Amishra
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Hello There,

I dont think there is any OOTB way to split you forecasts at activity level..

I would recommend to have a table component with 3 columns viz Activity, Scheduled Effort, Resource Name. These will need to be filled manually by the approver or the requestor.

Basically what you are doing is capturing the data in table component, once you have these data, you can come up with a custom report that can tell you what has been scheduled for a request. 

i would also recommend to enable the 'Resources' section on the form that will give you list of users who have timesheeted to the request, what are the actuals etc.. (refer sample image attached)

For the actuals you can run the Actual Time Summary report (sample attached) or come up with something custom, based on the requirements. 

With regards to your questions in the image, please refer attached for the answers. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ajay

M_A_A
Trusted Contributor.

Ajay, again thank you so much for all your help on this matter.

From all of my research I had assumed that estimates at an Activity level, per Request, was not possible.  You have provided me with specific information I was looking for so that I can report back to management and provide alternatives.

This has all been most helpful.  And the tip on adding Resources to the Request form, I had not seen before, so that was another bonus from our conversation.

Thank you,

Michael A.