Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP PPM Deployment Management Error

Highlighted
Laura Walker
Occasional Advisor

HP PPM Deployment Management Error

Hello All Deployment Management experts,

We have recently upgraded our system from HP PPM 7.5 to HP PPM 9 SP 2. Our PPM system is integrated with Oracle Application through Deployment Management module.

Now the problem is, after upgrade, none of the AOL object types are visible in the workbench. They are existing in the database, running the query on the kdlv_object_types shows that they have entry in database against them,

Also, post upgrade, while migrating a package, the package fails giving the below error:

"

java.nio.charset.IllegalCharsetNameException:
at java.nio.charset.Charset.checkName(Charset.java:273)
at java.nio.charset.Charset.lookup2(Charset.java:458)
at java.nio.charset.Charset.lookup(Charset.java:437)
at java.nio.charset.Charset.forName(Charset.java:502)
at com.kintana.core.net.SSH2Client.(SSH2Client.java:84)
at com.kintana.core.net.SSH2Client.(SSH2Client.java:61)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
at com.kintana.core.server.execution.CLConnectCommand.connectToHost(CLConnectCommand.java:402)
at com.kintana.core.server.execution.CLConnectCommand.connectAndValidateHost(CLConnectCommand.java:367)
at com.kintana.core.server.execution.CLConnectCommand.execute(CLConnectCommand.java:258)
at com.kintana.core.server.execution.CommandRunner.run(CommandRunner.java:106)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

"

Pleasse help ASAP.

Thanks and Regards.

8 REPLIES
dirkf
Honored Contributor

Re: HP PPM Deployment Management Error

Hi Laura,

After upgrade to PPM 8.01 or higher, there are 2 extra columns in this table kenv_environments (The table for storing all environment details) named server_stream_encoding and client_stream_encoding.
After the upgrade these 2 columns were most likely introduced into the table with null value for all existing environments. If this is the case, then it has resulted in the error of CharsetNamedException when performing an environment check or migration of packages, because PPM is trying to establish an SSH connection to the destination environment with a stream encoding value of Null.

The Stream encoding should have a value of UTF-8 for the check env test to pass. Please test an environment check and if it fails with the stack that you showed above, you then need to update the value of these fields (server_stream_encoding and client_stream_encoding) to UTF-8 for all the existing environments in the backend. This should resolve the issue and for once, bending the backend is a supported approach ;-)

Best regards,

Dirk

- Kudos always welcome -

Rahul_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Can you check wether the character set of source and destination is same or not.There is a utility or field in deployment called Internationalisation, you can set the character set of source and destination.

Click on the radio button of internationalisation on object type and it will override your character set problem.

Please let me know wether this is helpfull or not.

Regards,

Rahul

Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Wow hit the Nail right on the Head in my Case ! .. Thanks Dirk !!

-Raj

Sametria Holt
Occasional Contributor

I ran into an error when trying to deploy objects from my test to prod environment (I've tried all object types - workflow, headers, requests, and validations) and it looks like anything that I was trying to push an update to the entity in my prod environment from test failed with a vague GUID error, it just says an unknown error has occurred.  However I was able to deploy some project templates that didn't already exist in prod to the environment just fine, so I know its not an issue with my deployment workflow.    I tried making a copy of the objects and deploying that way and I still get the same error message.  We are on version 9.14 of PPM on a Windows 2008 box.  I have a case open with HP as well, but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before.  I've never had this happen and the error message isn't very helpful.  I'm attaching one of my package line logs here.  They all say the same thing, only the entity I was trying to deploy changes.  I didn't have any issue migrating from my dev to test environment, only when trying to get to production,  my environments can communicate with each other without issue as well. 

Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Sametria,

I've seen this error before where a workflow was created in instance A, then migrated to instance B, changes were made in instance B, and then migrated back to instance A.  The linkage between the workflows seems to be a one relationship when migrating in the traditional Dev->Test->Prod fashion, but doesn't hold true if trying to migrate backwards.  Try renaming the workflow on the target system and see if the migration succeeds.

Jason

Sametria Holt
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response, will changing the target workflow name break any connections this workflow has to existing requests types?  Also, will I lose any request data by doing so because per your instructions I'll be changing the object name in my prod environment, then migrating from test to prod. I just want to make sure I'm not going to have a mess in my prod environment when done.  Please advise.

Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

That depends on how your referencing them.  In a normal situation where you are selecting Workflow names from a validation, then yes, it will impact it as the new workflow will get a new workflow_id.  In my situation, we select the default workflow of a request type by name, not reference code or ID, so renaming the old one to something new and then migrating the new workflow in will allow all new Requests to get the new workflow.  Of course, this does mean that existing Requests will still follow the old workflow.

Toby Harvey
Super Collector

Extra points on this one, considering we do not use the "Client" settings but I stil had to enable, set it to UTF-8 and then re-disable it again to be able to deploy anything! Thanks to both of you
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event