Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

HP PPM Create Project From Workflow Error

Highlighted
kndlny
Super Contributor.

HP PPM Create Project From Workflow Error

Hi,

I am trying to convert a request to a project in a worklow by defining workflow step execution commands. I have defined a special command by using ksc_create_project. After the exdcution, I get timeout exception.
You can find the command definition in attachments.

Thanks,

Running command: com.kintana.core.server.execution.CreateProject  -projectName "sadasdasdsadsadasd" -projectTypeName "ENTERPRISE" -startDate "[REQD.CREATION_DATE]" -endDate "[REQD.LAST_UPDATED_BY]" -projectManager "100351" -region "100341" -requestID [REQ.REQUEST_ID] -userID [SYS.USER_ID] -userName "[SYS.USERNAME]"
Running command: -cacheName staffingprofile -lookupType "RSC - Staffing Profile Status" -lookupMeaning "[STATUS_NAME]" -tableName RSC_STAFFING_PROFILES -userKeyCol staffing_profile_name -userKeyIDCol staffing_profile_id -primaryKeyCol staffing_profile_id -useNamesFlag "N" -nameList "[STAFF_PROF_NAMES]" -idList "[REQ.P.KNTA_STAFFING_PROFILE]" -userId 100388 -lookupCode "6"
Running command: -project 30371 -status IN_FLIGHT -user 100388
The following Command Step is not subject to timing out: com.kintana.core.server.execution.CreateProject
Configuring connection...
Ready to create project from Project Type: ENTERPRISE

7 REPLIES
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: HP PPM Create Project From Workflow Error

Hi, kndlny,

please attach a screenshot of the error you get.

As a first impression, I would guess that there is a problem with start date and end date - when creating a project, they should point to the ID of the appropriate entry in KNTA_PERIODS, but only of type month.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
AlanMarch
Respected Contributor.

There are a couple ways to answer this question I (hopefully) will provide one solution assuming that you are creating a project from a proposal.  However, the short story is that it looks like you are using incorrect tokens and must use OOTB (Out of the Box) fields and Tokens instead.

First in the "Request Header Type" you are using with the "Request Type" you need to use the "Field Groups" and enable "PFM Proposal". Once enabled you will have a new section and fields.  You are welcome to change the section name and field names, but do not change the default validations or tokens.  You will also need to and must use the following fields with the default Tokens and Validations to automatically create a project from a proposal.

Proposal Name: — [REQ.P.KNTA_PROJECT_NAME] Once the proposal becomes a project this field becomes "Project Name:"
Project Manager: — [REQ.P.KNTA_PROJECT_MANAGER]
Project Type: — [REQ.P.KNTA_PROJECT_TYPE]
Region: — [REQ.P.KNTA_REGION]
Expected Start Period: — [REQ.P.KNTA_PLAN_START_DATE] Once the proposal becomes a project this field becomes "Planned Start Period:"
Expect Finish Period: — [REQ.P.KNTA_PLAN_FINISH_DATE] Once the proposal becomes a project this field becomes "Planned Finish Period:"
Request No: — [REQ.REQUEST_ID]

If there are fields in the new section that you do not want to use just choose "No" for the display option under the field properties or adjust the field "Status Dependencies" in the "Request Type:" accordingly.  In addition, if you do not want to display any of the required fields listed above you can also choose not to display them if the value will always be the same when creating a project from a proposal, but then you must adjust the default value for the field or use the ksc_set command in your execution step to set the appropriate value.

Please see the attached for a visual explanation.  Let us know if this helps and resolves your issue.  Good luck!

AlanMarch
Respected Contributor.

In addition to what I explain above, for the project you are creating it needs to have "PFM Project" enabled under the field group for the "Request Header Type" the Project Request Type it is using.

Does this make sense?  If not let me know and I'll add more details.

kndlny
Super Contributor.

Hi Alex,

The error is shown above. When its executing the command, it cannot go through the step Project Type for some reason. But here is the screenshot.

Thanks.

kndlny
Super Contributor.

Hi Alan,

Actually I am trying to design a workflow which users can create requests and after its done with the approvals, it is supposed to be converted to a project. There is a default PFM Proposal workflow in PPM and I guess its pretty much the same with what you have suggested. But if I chose this workflow, there will be unnecessary fields. I thought I should be able to convert a request to a project by just defining new special commands and of course defining the required fields in that command.I was not planning to add a new field or stuff like that. But I guess I will have to.

Thanks so much for the advice and work you have done.

kndlny
Super Contributor.

ok, I think I got it. Thanks for the suggestions.

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi,

you should provide kudos to people who helped you solve your problem...

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem