cancel

Filter field selection for validations with 1:1 Correspondence

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Alex Madison
Respected Contributor.

Filter field selection for validations with 1:1 Correspondence

Thanks a lot for sharing and providing a fantastic insight with PPM troubleshooting methods. Have been bombarded and faced with unusual and unique solution finder these days one of which is:
We are developing a report, and during this time when the users select one field in the report input, the second field should be populated automatically.
Field 1 values: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Field 2 values: A, B, C, D, E

There is a 1:1 correspondence for the above values such that 1:A, 2:B, 3:C, 4:D, 5:E.
When the user selects a value for field 1, say "1", Field 2 should automatically be populated with "B". Is this possible?

Te above fields correspond to project status. In our example, when the user selects a request status "In Progress", the other field should be populated with "Complete" as the status of the project could only go from "In Progress" to "Complete".
If a user selects the status "Complete" in field one, field 2 should autopopulate with "Closed" as in the workflow, the request only goes from "Complete" to "Closed".

I hope the explanation is not confusing, please let me know if I could help in simplifying the explanation any further.
Thanks!
6 REPLIES
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Filter field selection for validations with 1:1 Correspondence

If it is a one to one mapping then why you need the second filter in place?

I hope you can hardcode the value in your query, You can write a CASE statement or a UNION to acheive this.

I am not sure how to write rules with Reports.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Alex,

Mahendran is right, if it is a one to one mapping, there is no need to have another field in a Report Filter list. Unlike what he said, though, I would use a DECODE to do the mapping in the WHERE section of the first filter.

AND PARAMETERx = '[P.FILTER1]'
AND PARAMETERy = DECODE('[P.FILTER1]'
,'1','A'
,'2','B'
,'3','C'
,'4','D'
,'5','E'
,'NOT FOUND')
Alex Madison
Respected Contributor.

Hi Jason and NIchols,
Thank you so much for the update. As an update, during the process of seeking solution, it has been determined that it goes beying 1:1 map correspondence.
For Field 1, the validations are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and multiselect

For Field 2, the validations are A, B, C, D, E and multiselect.

Some of the values in field 1 need more than one value in field 2

For instance:
If Field 1 value is: 1
Field 2 value should be: A, B and C

If Field 1 value is: 2
Field 2 value should be: A, B, C and D

and likewise.
Would really appreciate if you could suggest a strategy around this.
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Alex,

If the second field is still a set list based on what the first field is set to, then a slight variation may do the trick:

AND PARAMETERx = '[P.FILTER1]'
AND INSTR(DECODE('[P.FILTER1]'
,'1','A,B,C'
,'2','A,B,C,D'
,'3','A,B,C,D,E'
,'4','C,D,E'
,'5','B,C,D,E'
,'NOT FOUND'), PARAMETERy) > 0
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

This is bit confusing for me, You mean to say that all the probability can occur like the one mentioned below

1 A, B, C, D, E
2 A, B, C, D
3 A, B, C
4 A, B
5 A

1 B, A, C, D, E

.....and so on

If yes... Please check whether you can define all the possible conditions in a validation or a decode statement and try to bring in the values of the validation in the report?

If it becomes so complex why can't you give the second field as a editable field to the end user? What is the problem associated with it?

Regards,
Mahendran M
Alex Madison
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Jason (and Mahendra). I agree with the solution provided by you. I would post further comments incase a bottlenexk arises.
Thank you.