File System

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
brm2015
Super Contributor.

File System

Hello Team,

Looking for information on serverFile system refresh from higher environment to lower environment (prod to Dev/Stage).

Do we need to stop the services on Production while copying/refreshing server file system to lower environment?

What do we need to take care to do not point out to prod environment after copying the file system from Prod to lower environment.

Thanks in advance for your input on this

Thanks,

brm

6 REPLIES
Scorpex
Super Contributor.

Re: File System

hello brm2015,

When you say higher environment to lower environment do you mean 9.31 > 9.14 or just make a copy of a prod environment to a new environment and call it dev.

I personally never stopped the production environment when I made a "backup" copy and moved it to a new environment and called it dev, what I had to change where the parameters in the server.conf file and make sure you change the DMS filesystem location to point to the new location.

There are a few more things that might need to change but that would depend what your configuration is going to look like, external front server + LB or just LB or no LB at all... lots of posibilities.

Also you will need to get non-production licenses for the "new" server

Please let us know what version you are currently on and what version you plan on going to.

Thanks!

Mig

brm2015
Super Contributor.

Hello Scorpex,

We are using 9.14.008 and planning to upgrade to 9.22 as part of this planning to refresh dev from prod and then perform upgrade on the dev environment (after making relevant parameter changes to point out to dev).

So as a precaution looking for more information/suggestion on this activity from users who performed this kind of activity.

I don't think/read that changes related LB etc as you mentioned. If changes required that side, please let me know what kind of changes to be done.

Thanks for your information on this. I hope you got clear information now.

Dev File System and Database cold backup taken to restore if any issues.

Thanks,

brm

Scorpex
Super Contributor.

Hello brm,

please correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that you already have the dev environment operational right now and all you want to do is a DB refresh?

If that is the case a simple DB refresh should put your dev where you need it in order to test the upgrade (that's if dev is already in 9.14)

I personally created a new instance (sandbox) by copying prod to a new server and made the changes (clustered environment, Load Balancer, parameters, attachments) so we had to configure the dev LB since the dev servers are in a different Network than our prod servers, then created a new schema in the DB and dumped all of prod data there, by creating the new environment I avoided messing up dev in case something went wrong.

From there we upgraded from 9.14 > 9.2 > 9.3 then I downgraded from 9.3 > 9.14 and performed the exercise again.

was a pretty easy experience.

I hope this helps.

Mig

brm2015
Super Contributor.

Hello Scorpex,

Thanks for your update. I have tried to update parameters in the Development Database which is refreshed from prod by running the script kUpdateHtml.sh. But knta_app_server_properties table showing server name as Production related only. Do I have to run any other script to update those values to Development nodes instead of Production nodes.

Do I have to copy any other folders from Production to Development as part of file system refresh?

Appreciate your suggestions on this.

Note: Refreshed DB and Copied Server folder from Production to Development PPM  Home Directory.

Thanks,

brm

Scorpex
Super Contributor.
Solution

Have you changed the parameters in server.conf yet?

You can run kConfig.sh which will guide you through the parameters configurations when you choose option 1 "Edit the server configuration parameters"  

Once the parameters are changed to point to the dev server you can then go to <PPM_HOME>/server/<Server_Name> and delete tmp and work folder after that you can run kUpdateHtml.sh

One other question, is this another physical machine or VM? or did you just copy the <PPM_HOME> to another folder

Thanks!

Mig

brm2015
Super Contributor.

Hello Scorpex,

Thanks for your update. After running kConfig script, parameter changes done successfully.

Thanks,

BRM