The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Field not appearing when required as dependency in rule

Highlighted
b460
Regular Collector

Field not appearing when required as dependency in rule

Hi,

I’m trying to define a rule in a request that requires a field in the request header as a dependency. The field in the header is a 4000 char field set as PARAMETER50.

When I try to select this field as a dependency for the rule it won’t show up in the validation. All other fields of the request and request header are available except this one.

Anyone come across this before? Or know what could be causing it?

Cheers,
Ben.
9 REPLIES
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Re: Field not appearing when required as dependency in rule

I hope I found the patten.... I am not able to bring in the fields whose validation are 'Text Area - 1800', 'Text Area - 4000' etc. I hope it does not work for text area.

Regards,
Mahendran M
b460
Regular Collector

I am using "Text Area - 1800" as the validation also.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

I am telling that we cannot bring the fields in dependency list whose validation is 'Text Area'.

Try to bring in other fields in the dependeny List whose validation is Text Area.
I am sure that this is not a problem of Parameter50

Kindly let me know if I am not clear.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Sangiliraja_1
Collector

Hi,

Yes. I have tried this too. PPM is will not allow to have a rule dependent on a Text Area field irrespective of PARAMETER Numbers.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
skbd
Regular Collector

Resurrecting an old discussion, but I am running into this currently in version 9.14.  I would very much like to include a Text -1800 field in the dependancy list but cannot.

It works fine for other text fields like the 10, 20, even 200 length fields, but not for the 1800.

Basically, I simply want to ensure that something is entered into this field before allowing the user to move on to the next step.

Anyone have any ideas?

kwood55
Frequent Visitor

I think you are trying it using a rule.

There is another way to try.

WF Step X --->  WF Step Y ----> WF Step Z

If you want Text area required at WF Step X

Open the workbench

Open your request Type

Select the Request Status tab, and link the WF Step Y status. Press Save

Select the Status Dependencies tab and select WF Step Y status

Select your Text Area field and select the Required radio button. Press Save.

Test it. WF Step X will not transition until Text Area field has an entry.

I have not tested this, but a Text Area 4000 field is visible during all of this.

skbd
Regular Collector

Thanks for the reply KWood55!

I have done as you described and yes it does work.  It just doesn't do everything that I am looking to accomplish.

The issue is that I not only want the status of the request to be part of the determination, but I want the value in a separate field to be part of the equation as well.

So, for instance, UAT tester is told (via email from PPM) to validate the change in the Test environment.

If it is ok, they simply click the APPROVE button and move on.

If they instead click the NOT APPROVED button, I want this rule to fire and see if they have filled in the reason for the failure (the 4000-byte field), and if not, then mandate that they do before allowing the request to move to the next step.

So, I am using a 'Apply before transition' rule event.

Rule type 'Advanced'

Logic: UI Rules with the showMessage() function and false to keep it from transitioning.

The dependancies would be:

* The CR status (maybe - not sure its necessary)

* The reason for failure field value = null

I believe I have a workaround, but I wanted to be sure I was not overcomplicating what should be a pretty simple scenario  :)

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are you using different destination steps for Approved and Not Approved actions? If yes, you can accomplish the requirements by settings the status of the field to required only in the status of the destination step for the Not Approved action.

The above is achieved by the look-ahead mechanism of HP PPM.

cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Setting the field as required at the status of the step should meet your needs.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event