Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to use MS project plug-in

Highlighted
portfolio
Occasional Advisor

Failed to use MS project plug-in

The environment is Windows XP+MS project 2003. At first I can use it to synchronize .mpp file with PPM. But once I made a baseline in .mpp file, I got an error shown in the attachments and could never find "PPM center" in .mpp file.
I re-installed MS Project and the plug-in, but still got the same issue.
Is there anybody can help me?
10 REPLIES
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

Hi.
We had a similar problem.
Have solved as follows:
-If OS Windows XP, then need SP2
-IF OS Windows 2000, then need SP4
-and MS Project 2003 not server edition
If has not helped, then HP recommends following:
1) Uninstall the MSP plugin from the Add/Remove Program
2) Delete the global.mpt in the C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\MS Project
3) Re-install the MSP plugin.

Good Luck
portfolio
Occasional Advisor

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

It works after I re-installed the plug-in based on your suggestions, thanks a lot!
Jaylen Smith
Regular Collector

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

We have had mixed results with the MS Project plug-in. For some users the plug-in works great. Other users including myself have had intermittent problems. For me the plug-in just stopped working.

Sometimes we got it working again by re-enabling it in MS Project using HELP>Disabled Items>Enable.

On other occassions this didn't work and the users would have to remove and re-install the plug-in.

On some occassions this didn't work and the PM had to re-install MS Project.

However there have been a couple of users (all running XP and MS Project 2003), in which all of the above fixes didn't work. Our IT support group had to re-image their computer.

In short it works for approximately 95% of our PM's but the remaining 5% experience issues.

I'm not sure if other folks experienced th same but it would be interesting to get additional feedbac.
gmeyer_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

Jaylen, I don't have any answers for you, but we have experienced the same issues exactly as you have described them.
Alexandru Saven
Regular Collector

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

I am going to add a new error in the MSP plug-in saga: Error: 35012: Application-defined or object-defined error.

environment is MS WinXP SP2 connected to PPM 7.1 SP7. I tried to look for log files/event logs etc, but no success.

if I get this solved, I shall post the resolution here.

Cheers
Alex
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

Hi All.
I have other recomendation in additional before:
If you ms project language another from English, you need rename "Cantt Chart" View from yous language to English. I do this from Russion and all working correct. Also you may help this: copy and rename following file from ../Program Files/Hewlett Packard/PPM add in For MS Project/plugin_en.properties. I am copy and change this files to plugin_ru.properties.
All working correct.
Good Luck
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

Sorry,
-rename to "Gantt Chart"
Lisa Jerrard
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

Can anyone point me at the HP URL to download the Microsoft Project Plug-In? Can't find. Also, anyone know if it works with MS Project 2007?
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

Good Day
With MS Project 2007 PPM Project plug-in working fine.
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Re: Failed to use MS project plug-in

Jaylen, same issue here.

Lisa, the link is in PPM under Administration on the main menu.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event