Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Extracting Resource Capacity data

Highlighted
Dinesh Mistry
Regular Contributor.

Extracting Resource Capacity data

PROBLEM : extract resource capacity data e.g. Resource A is a full time employee, I need to pull his monthly availablility in hours. This data can be any xml, txt etc format. It is needed for a downstream data warehouse application. What are my options for extracting this data? Web Services? ODBC/SQL call to the appropriate db tables - if anyone can point me to the right tables, that would be helpful (I am DB/SQL proficient).

Any help appreciated.

Dinesh 

6 REPLIES
sebastianrm
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Extracting Resource Capacity data

You can also use a report with a simple script to download information to a csv.

If it is a single query you can use a DBLINK to reach PPM DB (or backwards).

Which ppm version r u using?

S

Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Dinesh,

We are using SAP BW for reporting requirements for PPM. We are created a database user in PPM DB for SAP BW to read views (ETL Processes) . We are created views depend on our reporting requirements.

If you don't use any BI solution, depend on your reporting solution I could try to help you.

Celil

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Dinesh Mistry
Regular Contributor.

Hello sebastianrm,

Thanks for your help. My apologies for the delay, I just noticed your reply. I am new to this forum and getting to login has been a challenge.

To answer your question, we are on Version 8.X. 

Can you elaborate on your suggestion solution? I can connect to the DB via MS Access (read only) and create the requisite SQL queries. Since this post 2 weeks ago, I have been able to figure the SQL to pull resource capacity (still need more testing). The question I still have in my mind is, is this the best way to get resource capacity and demand (from staffing profiles). Or is web services a better option (where I have no expertise, I am DB/SQL person).

Dinesh

Dinesh Mistry
Regular Contributor.

Celil,

Thank you for helping me out. Sorry for the delay, I am new to this forum.

I do not have a reporting solution, but want to pull (forecast) capacity & demand data from PPM. This data is needed for a downstream analytics package.  So any help I can get to extract PPM data preferably using SQL would be best.  I use MS Access to connect to PPM, but am flexible using another reporting tool. Eventually this may end up as a script/stored procedure or similar.

I am also trying to better understand what audit information is present in PPM. Specifically, I am looking usage stats (logins, type/frequency of updates/activity to update resource pools, resource info, staffing profiles etc. Kinda of usage heat map.

Dinesh Mistry, PMP, MCTS

http://www.linkedin.com/in/dineshmistry 

Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

have you got data model?  Take a look enclosed document.

And I have send a linkedin invitation.

Celil

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Dinesh Mistry
Regular Contributor.

Thank you Celil. yes, I have the 8.x data model guide. Let's connect via linkedin