The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting project plan for offline analysis

Highlighted
Alexei Malinovs
Regular Collector

Exporting project plan for offline analysis

Dear community,

We have all our project plans(schedules) only in Mercury. We do not use any synchronisation with MS Project.

However, time to time people want to have a snapshot of schedules for offline analysis out of Mercury. what is the best way to do this?

I know following ways:
Solution 1 (not good for us):
Export schedule and gant chart to picture
Exporting work well but:
- resulting picture is just too huge in size for any normal analysis
- gant chart looks terirble with all this vertical lines that are dependencies between the tasks
- it is not possible to export schedule with some parts of it collapset. It always show all tasks and subprojects

2. Export schedule to MS project
Since we do not use any MS Project synchronisation the only way to export in Mercury is the following:
a. Copy complete schedule in project workbench as another schedule using "Copy" button.
b. Export the copied schedule to MS Project
c. delete copied schedule from project workbench

This works very well but is it health
4 REPLIES
Alexei Malinovs
Regular Collector

Re: Exporting project plan for offline analysis

is it healthy for Mercury when you always copy projects and then delete them from the database?

So, any ideas or other suggestions?
Niraj Prabhu
Frequent Visitor

Hello Alex,

It is definitely not a healthy practice to do this everytime, You may want to work on developing a custom portlet in desired form and then use it to either export them to pdf or excel.

One other way could be having MSP plugin installed and then always export the workplan to MSP file. Keep the Project setting to still be PPM Controlled and you wont need to sync it to MSP File you are exporting this workplan to.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Niraj
Niraj P.
Alexei Malinovs
Regular Collector

Does MSP Plugin works in Mercury 6.0?
Where can I find it to install?
Scott A Wood
Regular Collector

There should be a plug-in download link in PPM 6.0 (I believe this feature was available then too.)

The 6.0 version of the tool is end of life, so you really need to plan an upgrade to 7.5 at least. I wouldn't recommend doing two major upgrades (7.1 and 8.0), but a major and minor upgrade should be fine (7.1 & 7.5).
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event