Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Export Errors - Results Not fully exported / Corrupt / Unnecessary password prompts

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Excel Export Errors - Results Not fully exported / Corrupt / Unnecessary password prompts

Hi Everyone,

We have been on 9.13 for a while have recently been getting reports of excel export issues for quite a few of our users. I wonder if any of you have experienced similar issue and may have any suggestion for us. Will appreciate any feedback I can get.

1. When they try to export a Search or Portlet results into an excel sheet, some of the column does not export a value but simply gives erorr message  "Error 500: Unknown error" .  And more critically, it does not export All the search results. Plus, interesting thing is, I as an Admin am not able to replicate the issue on my end. But  when they try it, the issue apprers for them. This is affecting Serach Results, Portlet output as well as Request Browser results.
  2. While trying to Export, unnecessary password prompts appear saying "window security". They can simply Cancel and move on but most people are irritated by the multiple password prompts they get while exporting.

Thanks.

-Raj

13 REPLIES
jsalass
Frequent Visitor

Re: Excel Export Errors - Results Not fully exported / Corrupt / Unnecessary password prompts

HI Raj,

So far I tested this on my 9.14.0003 and I dind't receive any problem. I used an SSO and NON SSO environment and both of them worked.

I checked the release notes for 9.14 and minor patchs 0001, 0002 and 0003 and I found several excel export issues were resolved.

Is there any chance you can move to 9.14.0003 (current latest version)?

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Jonathan
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Re: Excel Export Errors - Results Not fully exported / Corrupt / Unnecessary password prompts

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the feedback !

Actually, I was also trying to move on to 9.14 but during research, i discovered that one of the critical patches of 9.14 (Patch 9.14.003) is NOT compatible with compressed tables and table spaces. Unfortunatley, we do have a couple of compressed table spaces as a result of PPM DMS implimentation. HP 9.13 Release doc had suggestion for compression for DMS so we did. Now it seems patch that was released well after that does not support compression. So, we are in kind of limbo :-(   ... Strangely..Support is suggesting us to wait for the next SP.  They said there were other customers with similar issues. So, wanted to check if anyone had any suggestion on that regard.

Thanks.

-Raj

jsalass
Frequent Visitor

Let me see what I can check Raj.

So far I know that patch 0004 will be released by the end of this month.

I will let you know.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Well.. that kinda sounds like a Good News... But is it ? .. I hope the 0004 doesn't have the compression dependency like 0003. Thanks for checking Jonathan !

-Raj

jsalass
Frequent Visitor

Hi Raj,

I confirmed the 0004 patch would be release around Nov 23.

Now, 0004 will have same compression dependency like patch 0003. I checked and this limitation in the installation/upgrade has been since PPM 9.1 SP1. You can see this on page 10 of PPM 9.1 SP1 release notes:

"The current release of PPM Center does not support table or tablespace compression
in Oracle. If you use compressed tables or compressed tablespaces, the upgrade
scripts will fail."

So, since that version you are able to see that note in all the release note of 9.12, 9.13, 9.14 and 9.14.0001/0002/0003.

Now, I checked the "PPM Center Database DMS Solution" white paper (attached to my response) and I'm able to see this note on page 3 (Technical Overview section):

"By default, document contents are stored in the default PPM tablespace
USER_CLOB, while the metadata and the TEXT indexes (when created) are
stored in the default PPM tablespace USER_DATA. DBAs can change the
tablespaces used by PPM Center Database DMS. For example, to save DB
disk space by compressing documents contents, or by tuning tablespace-level
settings that would provide better performance for their specific usage. Such
tablespace customizations are supported, but out of the scope of this
document."

The recommendation provided here is to create separate tablesapaces used only by the DMS and not for PPM and then compress only those DMS tablespaces. Doing that you avoid the compress problem when upgrading PPM.

So the best option is to decompress the tablespaces, then create tablespaces for the DMS feature and compress them and the you will be able to upgrade to any PPM patch version.

Hope this helps"

Regards,
Jonathan

jsalass
Frequent Visitor

Also Raj, adding to my previous response.

In the 9.13 Release notes on page 13 at the very bottom you will see the same restriction note:

The current release of PPM Center does not support table or tablespace compression
in Oracle. If you use compressed tables or compressed tablespaces, the upgrade
scripts will fail.

And in the same document on page 28 (Documents contents tablespace)

Though this is supported, HP recommends you to change the tablespace of
these columns before performing the migration, so that all documents can
directly use the newly configured tablespace.

You can use compressed tablespaces. This could significantly reduce the space
needed on the disk of PPM Center database.

That is referreing to the new tablespace for DMS and not normal PPM tablespaces.

I'm attaching the release notes for 9.1SP3 here too.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jonathan

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Jonathan but I think I am a little confused here..

I am trying to verify this 100 % again with DBA again, but I don't think we have whole PPM DB compressed.

Our DBA only helped us in creating two “Compressed” dedicated table spaces FOR two BLOB columns called DOC_CONTENTS  in KNTA_DOCUMENT_TIP_CONTENTS & KNTA_DOCUMENT_HISTORY_CONTENTS Tables.    I think both these tables are only related to DMS. No?

So, does that mean, we should be OK even right now ?

Thanks again.

-Raj

jsalass
Frequent Visitor

Hi Raj,

Yes, those are DMS tables (along with table KNTA_DOCUMENT_VERSIONS). So, if you have dedicated tablespaces for only the DMS tables that means you are ok and the upgrade will not affect you at all.

Are you getting an error when going to SP4.0003?

Regards,

Jonathan

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

That is a Great News !  

Even though I provided the same information like I did in my last post, one of the Support Techs was not sure and cautioned me about data corruption possibilites and suggested me to hold off on applying SP 4. So, we haven't tried this at all. ... I think I will have to give this a try now in Non-Prod and hope everything does well.

Thanks a Million !
-Raj

jsalass
Frequent Visitor

Sure Raj,

However, please give me a couple of days. I have contacted the PPM RnD department to confirm what I found.

I'm pretty sure it will work. Since you already are in 9.13, where compressed tablespaces are not allowed and using DMS with a compressed tablespace for those tables, and this is working fine so the same should be for 9.14 and 9.14.xxxx

I will keep you informed.

Regards,

Jonathan

jsalass
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Hi Raj,

I fully confirmed and you can use compressed tablspaces for DMS tables only, it will not affect the later PPM upgrade.

Regards,
Jonathan

(Remember to mark the topic as solved and provide kudos if a post answered your query)

Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Thank You for Confirming this Jonathan.
I am almost ready but thinking that since I alrady got held up this long, maybe I should wait till the end of this Nov and then apply the new .004 patch instead. Any way, Thanks Again !!
jsalass
Frequent Visitor

You're very welcome Raj.

Yes, that is a good approach. Remember patch 0004 will be release around Nov 23rd.

Take care!

Regards,

Jonathan

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event