Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Estimated Finish before Actual Start

Highlighted
rlhenry2
Frequent Contributor.

Estimated Finish before Actual Start

When a user enters time in a time sheet at a project task level, she receives an error that states "Estimated Finish before Actual Start". After reviewing the time sheet entries, I cannot see where the conflict is.

My questions:
1) Why would it really matter if a task is starting late to the system?
2) What setting do I need to change to disable this form of checking?

I understand the importance from a project management perspective, but I should see that in the plan view and it should not cause a conflict with a time user.

Time & Project modules.
PPM 7.1 (original install was 5.5, upgraded to 6.0 and more recently to 7.1)
3 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Estimated Finish before Actual Start

Hi,

Can you check if the 'Estimated Finish Date' field is enabled in the 'Project Fields' section of the Project Type? Try unchecking that field and it should work.
rlhenry2
Frequent Contributor.

That did it. Thanks!
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

For both the points you mentioned that's the reason, i.e. if you select that field,

For point no.1: That means it actually asks the system to track it, so it prompts the user to correct the dates of either or both Actual Start and Estimated Finish dates.

For point no.2: Unchecking Estimated Finish Date disalbes this check and point no.1 also gets resolved.

Also, it may be a project management perspective but so far I learned most people don't use this field actually in the PPM implementations.