It is the log that I pasted before, that is generated in the 'Status Section' of the Request. The Server Log is exactly the same.
The project is not created and the step shows as failure with the Override Buttons at the top.
Strangely when I associte the Request Type, with a workflow, that has just the 'Create Project' Step, It works fine( with no error even on SP5). We have a workflow whish spans subworkflows and has a lot of steps.
Yes Eric, I created a simple workflow with just the 'Create Project' Step and linked it to my Request Type, The Project was created. However if I link the Request Type to our actual workflow, It gives an error.
We were able to create Projects successfully in SP3, However it errors out after we applied SP5.
It could also be the "Workflow" field, I guess. Ours has "Driving process" and our default got overwritten when we applied SP6 (we skipped SP5) so I thought that might apply. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas...
Hi. Check the rule in RT which apply WP on create project. In this rule disabled then you request crated with defoult WF. If defaulf wf is disabled then you can't correctly create a project. Main, see rule with apply on creation action mast be set wf name in same field Good Luck
first of all, the correct path to check the logs is the folder created for every request in the logs folder. PPM throws this kind of error when trying to view the logs from the Web GUI - this should be fixed in SP8, I didn't check yet.
those logs will provide much better information on why the create project fails. However, keep in mind that the project type should have the appropriate request type assigned.
I was able to fix this, the issue was caused due to 'Tokens' used for fields that had validations as 'Table Components' I changed them and the creation of the Project was fine, though it does sound funny but then it was seen after we applied SP5 on 7.1.