Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environment check fails : - ERROR: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
ManojKumarNS
Super Collector

Environment check fails : - ERROR: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

Hi All,

We have an staging environment(PMC_STAGE).And when i do the environment check from the development workbench, the check shows the following error:-

ERROR: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

But when i do check the same from QA workbench, it shows successful. so QA environment is able to connect to the staging environment but the development instance environment is not able to connect to the staging environment. 

I verified/did the following things:

1. I pinged the staging server from the development server. And it is successful.

2. I did telnet from development server . I used the command :- telnet <staging servername> 22, i get

Connecting To <staging servername>...Could not open connection to the host,  on port 22: Connect failed

3. I did telnet from QA server. I used the command:- telnet <staging server> 22 , I get

ssh-2.0-OpenSSH_5.9

4.In the server.con file of DEV and staging server , i see , com.kintana.core.server.CONC_LOG_TRANSFER_PROTOCOL=FTP

If you didnt understand my description, then the bottom line is: i am getting the error "ERROR: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect" during the envirnomental check in workbench.

Could any one suggest me a solution.

Thanks

manoj

4 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Re: Environment check fails : - ERROR: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

Since your command line test from the Dev PPM server to the Staging environment also fails, it shows that this is not a PPM issue, but a networking issue.  It sounds like there's some kind of firewall setup blocking port 22 traffic between the PPM Dev server and the Staging server.  This is not something that can be fixed within PPM, but will have to be fixed externally before PPM will be able to establish the connection.

ManojKumarNS
Super Collector

Re: Environment check fails : - ERROR: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked status the port number 22 (by using the command: netstat -a) in both DEV and STAGING servers, and it showed "LISTENING". Is there any other way to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks

Manoj

Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor
Solution

The problem is not on either server, nor is it something that you can check from either server.  The problem is in the communication between each server.  Imagine the two servers (PPMDev and Staging) are basketball goals on opposite sides of a court.  In an unrestricted environment, you can make shots (send traffic) from one side of the court (server) to the goal (port) on the other side of the court (other server).  Imagine now that a wall has been constructed as midcourt that stretches up to the ceiling.  No ball can go over, under, around, or through this wall.  Each side of the court can still see that their respective basket (port) is open for balls (traffic) to come in.  However, neither side can now send a ball (traffic) into the basket (port) on the other court.  Neither basket can do anything about the wall in place.  This is like your situation, the servers cannot do anything about the network traffic not getting to the port on the other server.  You need to get the network/firewall team involved to open the firewall to allow traffic from your PPM Dev server on port 22 to the Staging server.

ManojKumarNS
Super Collector

Thanks Jason. Your exapmle is excellent :) This example gives me a different perception about the 'ports and communication between the servers' from what i had early.

I checked with the firewall team and found that port 22 was not opened in PPMDEV. And now it is working fine after the port 22 open.

Thanks again!!

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event