Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Environment Setting for Migration

Highlighted
Raka_1
Super Contributor.

Environment Setting for Migration

I am trying to set the Environments for Migration from DEV>>>TEST. It is taking the SSH2 and SECURE COPY 2 but not accepting the username and password. Which username and password are to be filled in. does it require to get asa password (which can be some problem and has some security issues). Do I need to specify a separate a key. Does PPM support SFTP.
6 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Environment Setting for Migration

The username/pw required are the ones that are needed to log into those boxes...usually the ones that PPM runs under on those servers. What OS are they?

I don't think PPM handles sftp, just ftp and scp.
Raka_1
Super Contributor.

We are using Linux environment. I need to make sure that the 'Secure Copy 2' is SFTP because the connection protocol being used is SSH2 through port 22. How else can I set the user account if we are not using SFTP.
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

SCP uses ssh on port 22 to copy files. You can read about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_copy. There should be a man page for scp on your Linux system, too, for more details.

scp copies files between machines in encrypted form. PPM uses the id/password entered in the environment to log in to the server when doing these copies.
Raka_1
Super Contributor.

I read the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_copy
and it says (Some SSH implementations provide the scp2 program, which uses the SFTP protocol instead of SCP, but provides the very same command line interface as scp. scp is then typically a symbolic link to scp2.)
So I am guessing the Secure Copy 2 is using SFTP protocol and using SSH2 to connect. I just want to make sure that Secure Copy 2 is SFTP. because if it is then it solves my problem by getting a new public key
Raka_1
Super Contributor.

DO we need to do the 'Enabling Secure RMI (Optional)' step before getting the Public and Private key because that can be a problem. Do I start from 'Configuring Private key authentication with Secure Shell'.I was able to log on from the command line it is a matter of the keys that would authenticate the remote log on onto the PPM server.
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

We do not use Secure RMI.

PPM uses the id and password to log in to a server via ssh and scp on each connection. Keys do not need to be set to bypass this step.