Environment Groups

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
SameetPatro
Super Collector

Environment Groups

Hello,

I want to use environment group for migrating files to a environment (having multiple servers). I am able to migrate to only one server at a time by using Environments, but I couldn't find any documentation or ways to use environment group to deploy files in multiple server. Any suggestion would be really helpful.

Regards,

Sameet Kumar Patro

3 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Re: Environment Groups

I've setup Environment Groups to migrations to PPM environments and non-PPM environments. What it seems like you are wanting to do is definitely possible with Environment Groups.

It sounds like you may have already defined an environment for each of the servers in your environment. If not, you will need to do that. I'll try to use an example of a clustered PPM environment to help guide you along in this. For this example, we are going to assume that there are two physical servers with two nodes on each server. For this example, we are also only going to concentrate on the node filesystem portion $PPM_HOME/server/[node]. So, we will need four (4) separate environments defined in PPM, one for each node. For this example, the node names will be s1n1, s1n2, s2n1, s2n2. The node names also make good PPM Environment names, but that is up to your naming conventions. For each of the environments, setup the server name and login credentials for the appropriate servers. For the individual nodes, I usually configure them in the Client section of the Environment as this fits the pattern of the three tiered architecture the Environment was modeled after. For the client base path, then, you would have /full/PPM/home/directory/server/sXnY with the appropriate PPM Home path and then the appropriate X and Y values for each node.

Once you have the Environments created, you will create your Environment Group. Obviously, you will need to give it a name and add the Environments to this group. You will also need to indicate whether you want processing to be done Serially or in Parallel (Execution Order). The difference here is whether you want to have PPM try to do the migrations to each of the target environments in this group all at once (Parallel) or one at a time (Serial). You will also need to indicate which Environment will be used as the Source Environment. Should this Environment Group be a Source Env Group for a migration step, it will only use one of the Environments as the Source to copy files to the target Environment or Group.

If you are not using App Codes, this is all you need to configure the Environment Group. From here, you would go into your migration workflow and then put this Environment Group instead of the individual Environments.
SameetPatro
Super Collector

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick response.

I was able to migrate files to different servers by using Environment Groups. But there is another concern is that, 

I want to use "file migration" object type for migrating files to different servers in destination. When I am using the environment group, instead of copying of files in respective folders it creates a folder PPM_HOME under server folder of both the servers and copy the file their. I know this is happening due to an if condition of the object type i.e. if the path mentioned under [Sub-Path] is not found then create the directory and copy the file. But I don't want that. 

My requirement is :

Files to be taken from source server from rpt folder i.e. E:\HP_PPM\PPM_HOME\server\Dev_Node3_user\deploy\itg.war\web\knta\crt\rpt

Files to be migrated in two server at destination :

Server1Node1 :- E:\HP_PPM\PPM_HOME\server\Dev_Node1_user\deploy\itg.war\web\knta\crt\rpt

Server1Node 2 :- E:\HP_PPM\PPM_HOME\server\Dev_Node2_bkgdServices\deploy\itg.war\web\knta\crt\rpt

Any suggestion would be helpfull.

Thanks & Regards,

Sameet Kumar Patro

Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor
Solution

I've actually done this very thing very recently. When I set up the Environments, I set up the node information is the Client section of the Environment. So, for the first Environment, the client base path would be E:\HP_PPM\PPM_HOME\server\Dev_Node1_user\ and the client base path for the second environment would be E:\HP_PPM\PPM_HOME\server\Dev_Node2_bkgdServices\. This way, the sub-path would be deploy\itg.war\web\knta\crt\rpt.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event