Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Disabling AXIS2 WS Security makes web services unstable

Highlighted
dlinetsk
Super Contributor.

Disabling AXIS2 WS Security makes web services unstable

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share some of my findings on PPM web services and see if anyone has experienced/solved the following issue:

When I disable Web Service security, as per Web Services Development guide provided by HP, the web services become kind of unstable. Please note: when security is enabled and configured, no error is ever experienced.

For example:

I am trying to create a couple of new projects - I run web service to create project A - it completes successfully. I go to PPM to check, and the project created ok.

Then I run the same web service to create project B - I get an error:

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: Internal error has occurred while calling PPM Web Service. Contact PPM Center support with the detailed information if the problem persists. (KNTA-11186) Details: java.lang.NullPointerException
Exception Correlation: GUID=F18CDF16-F4F9-41C0-A1AA-3199DE7DF812Generated Time=2011/08/03-11:27:23.542 MDTServer Node Name: kintanaat org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.send(OutInAxisOperation.java:271)at org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.execute(OutInAxisOperation.java:202)at com.mercury.itg.ws.pm.client.ProjectServiceStub.createProject(ProjectServiceStub.java:309)at examples.pm.ProjectServiceClient.createProject(ProjectServiceClient.java:163)at examples.pm.ProjectServiceClient.main(ProjectServiceClient.java:106) 

The error goes away after some time - but it does not look like any particular action must be taken for that. It just goes away by itself (no particular timeframe – sometimes in 1 minute, sometimes in 30 min).  App server restart does not help too.

Sometimes, I can create a number of project in a raw before getting any error – so it is very inconsistent.

Before writing here, I replicated the same issue by setting up a webservice_toolkit (as is) in HP Surgient environment, and I am getting the same behaviour when I turn off WS Security. So, the problem is not specific to my environment.   

Did anyone experience anything like that?  

Thanks,

Dmitry