Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Developing Webservices

Highlighted
Raka_1
Super Contributor.

Developing Webservices

We want to get financial data from Essbase into PPM and send it back to Essbase. There can be 2 ways to do it one is using Sql Loader to get all the financial data loaded into PPM and the other would be to develop a Java webservice that is bi-directional. What can be the optimum approach and is there any documentation to do that specially the webservices option like the whole design and procedural layout for any webservices
4 REPLIES
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Developing Webservices

What version of PPM you are on? Kindly see the webservice document of PPM 8.00 and see whether it helps you in any way.

As far as my observation goes the examples provided in that document, those are reletively simple ones and unfortunately webservice is not supported by HP Support, They will direct you to get the services of PSO.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,
I would be interested to here how your integration is concepted. We're working on the same topic, and would like to here from others how they are conceptually approaching this topic.
Some time ago I did a post in the new community forum on this: http://h30501.www3.hp.com/t5/General-Discussion-Information/ERP-Integration/m-p/35

From a technical perspective it depends primarily on the PPM version you use. There have been significant changes in release 8 when it comes to financial planning. Could you describe the data flows more in detail? Where happens the planning, what is the leading system for actuals, is it only non-labor or is labor cost captured somewhere too?

What I got to know so far, for this type of integration some kind of "middleware" is usually implemented. I think PSO uses something like that too. So far we have not yet decided if we want to go PSO's way or use SAP XI (SAP is the ERP here), develop our own stuff based on PPM webservices and SAP's equivalent or go for a third party product (eg like Jitterbit).
Raka_1
Super Contributor.

Ours is version 8.0. Essbase does not contain information about the Programs the projects are not attached to a program. And since we have 600 projects with no financial data right now what we want to do is to get all the labor cost from essbase into PPM and once the costs are in PPM and rolls up to the Program, we want to send the Program information back to essbase. ALSO THERE IS ANOTHER SYSTEM THAT TRACKS TIME SO WE WANT TIME TO BE COMING FROM THERE AND EVENTUALLY INTEGRATING IT WITH SERVICE MANAGER.
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

PPM offers webservice for both financial data and time sheet data. For time sheet data there is also a bulk import script (see appendix A in the TM Config Guide).
I also have a generic XML formatter from PSO, but it is for release 7.1. I don't think it will work with release 8.
As the integration you are planning will probably need to happen regularly, I would go for some kind of middleware that talks to the PPM webservices. Writing directly to the PPM database is not really advisable because of the hibernation framework PPM uses.