Did you mean: 

Deployment environments configuration - two PPM instances on one machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
roxor

Deployment environments configuration - two PPM instances on one machine

Dear all,

I need to move many objects from our Dev to Prod instance. I have read Deployment Configuration guide but I don't understand, how I should configure environments for Dev and Prod when we have them on one computer.

I managed to connect only to database which is on another machine so this is working, but I didn't how to configure Server and Client sections in environment.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

r.

9 REPLIES
erik_c
Regular Collector

Re: Deployment environments configuration - two PPM instances on one machine

Hi,

In Prod, under Environments, configure one called 'Prod' and one called 'Dev' with the correct settings for each. They will have different databases, and different base paths. If they're running under two different users, change that as well.

Then in your deployment workflow's execution step, select Dev as the Source Environment and Prod as the Destination.

roxor

Hello,

my problem is that I have both PPM instances on the same machine... Someone who done installation in the past didn't go with installation guide.

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

If the two PPM instance are on same machine, then definately their base path must be different; based on this you can create both DEV and PROD environment.

In my project I have DEV and TEST both on same machine; and we can easily migrate the objects between the two instances.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
roxor

Hello Utkarsh,

I am still struggling with this. You wrote that you have Dev and Test on the same machine. I can't figure it out how I can configure deployent in this case. Can you please help me with some print screen or some explanation?

I am running two PPM instances on Windows server 2008 and I don't know how it is possible to use these transfer and connection protocols (image below) when it is on one machine.

Or maybe I am doing it completely wrong and this is not neccessary...

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

r.

SureshR
Regular Collector

Hi Roxor,

As suggested by Utkarsh create two environment name as Dev and Test in your PPM system. Both should having the different name, password and base path, so specify the same in the envs.

Also You need to (or by the help of sysadmin team) open one of the connection and Transfer protocol on your machine then only you can use the migartion of file between the two instances.

Cheers!

roxor

Hello,

Thanks for prompt answer, just to be sure... we already have two running instances on same windows server.

Upper mentioned environment credentials in server section will be the same for development and production except “base_path” value.

All we need is enable transfer and connection protocol on this one windows server and deployment should work?

I would really appreciate some print screens:) and how are these protocols configured... I can't image how can PPM use e.g. telnet for trasfer between two instances on one machine.

Thanks a lot.
Kind regrads,
r.
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Telnet is used to send commands to the remote PPM instance. Files are transferred via ftp or scp.

All of these are quite well documented in the Installation and Administration guide.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Hi Roxor,

For using Deployment management, you need to install Telnet and FTP client/server in Windows server 2008, by default these are disabled in Windows.

First Enable TELNET:

To enable Telnet on Windows Server 2008 follow these steps :

Reference - http://www.elmajdal.net/win2k8/how_to_enable_telnet_in_windows_server_2008.aspx

1. Open Server Manager, click Start  > Server Manager
   2. From the left panel in  Server Manager, click on Features
   3. Click on Add Features
   4. From the available list of features, scroll down and select Telnet Client, then click Next
   5. From the available list of features, scroll down and select Telnet Server, then click Next
   6. Once installation is completed, click on Close
   7. Restart the server

Next step is to enable FTP, now here there are two ways... either use IIS FTP server or install any third party FTP server. (you can also go for SCP.. try Google for more options)

1. To user Microsoft IIS FTP server refer - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974603

OR  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771012%28WS.10%29.aspx

2. Or you can install FileZilla FTP server

more details can be found at - http://filezilla-project.org/

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
roxor
Solution

Hello,

thanks a lot to all involved, kudos granted :) Everything is working now and I would like to summarize what was done to get it work:

My problem was in bad Telnet and FTP configuration. Hint how to configure was given here:http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Project-and-Portfolio-Management/Issue-with-Telnet-Check-on-the-PPM-Server-Windows-2008-R2/td-p/5350133

Here is piece from my notes about Cygwin Telnet and FTP configuration:

1      Configuration - Telnet, FTP

1.1      Connection and Transfer Protocols

We are using Telnet as connection protocol and FTP (passive) as transfer protocol. First should be tried to standard Microsoft Telnet, which configurations is described in document “Configuring-Microsoft-Telnet-Server-for-Use-with-the-PPM-Command-Engine.doc”

1.1.1      Microsoft Telnet is not working for us

After all necessary registry changes where was Bash set as Shell for telnet, telnet was closing connection immediately after connection. We were not successful to fix this issue so we have to use Cygwin Telnet.

1.1.2      Cygwin Telnet and Cygwin FTP (step by step)

1. To use Cygwin Telnet we need to install these additional packages to basic standard Cygwin installation:

• Inetutils
  • Rsync
  • Whois
  • Cygrunsrv
  • Tcp-wrappers
  1. Now edit [CYGWIN_HOME]/etc/inetd.conf and uncomment only two rows – which starts ‘telnet  … ’ and ‘ftp …’
  2. Now we need to start Cygwin inetd:
  • Stop the Microsoft Telnet service in your Server if it is running (Start, services, telnet, stop)
  • run Cygwin console as administrator
  • Create and start service inetd:
  • cygrunsrv -I inetd -d "CYGWIN inetd" -p /usr/sbin/inetd -a -d -e CYGWIN=ntsec
  • net start inetd

3. Now when you run cmd.exe you should be able to connect via Telnet to machine, bash will be automaticcaly started. You have to use Localhost instead of machine IP.

All environment check from workbench are OK now (use passive FTP). Deployment is working like a charm.

Maybe these notes will help someone.

Kind regrads,

r.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event