Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete one of the values from validation

Highlighted
Oberoi87
Occasional Advisor

Delete one of the values from validation

Hi Everyone,

I  have one validation(drop down) associated with one of the fields in project details section. If i delete one of the values from that validation, does it some how effect those projects which were using the deleted value going forward? 

6 REPLIES
Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Re: Delete one of the values from validation

As a best practise it is never recommended to change the OOTB entities, as it will impact the associated entities. Secondly on making change in OOTB entities then on next patching activity/upgrade, your changes will be lost and you need to re-create the same.

For your case, if you change the validation then it will impact the globally. So its better to first make a copy of that validation and then change it.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Oberoi87
Occasional Advisor

Hi Utkarsh,

The validation which i am talking about is not ootb. It is customized one, with the value being entered manually in the drop down. So if i delete one of the values from that list and some projects are referring to the deleted value,will it somehow affect those projects in future?

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

If you delete the value then definately it will impact; rather I would suggest to "DISABLE" those entires.

Futher if you want to show the disabled values in the referencing entities,then you can create a new validation like this.. so that it will not be impacted and will also show the disabled values.

i.e.

create a new referencing validation and make it "VALIDATED BY" as SQL

now put this code..... (it will pick from your drop down list... irrespective of enalbed or disabled)

SELECT lookup_code, meaning FROM KNTA_LOOKUPS WHERE
LOOKUP_TYPE = <your_drop_down_validation_name>
ORDER BY SEQ

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

Oberoi87
Occasional Advisor

Hi Utkarsh,

Thanks for the update. I am newbie in PPM, could you please let me know what is difference between disabling the value and deleting the value. Does it make a functional impact

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, It could be making sense, because this value could be used in any where. If you delete it and PPM couldn't find it, PPM will give error in page. So we recommend you disable it.

PS: Please keep alive our forum via kudos the professionals
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Deleting a value will simply delete it from database; where as Disable will hide the value in drop-down list.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event