Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Migration for 9.1

Highlighted
Andy McMahon_1
Collector

Database Migration for 9.1

Hey guys, 

I have a question.  I'm looking to copy my production DB down to my test and dev environments so the same data will be there.  I know in 7.5 I put in a ticket to my DBA and it was done in like... 20 minutes. 

At a new company, running 9.1, my DBA is saying he has to copy the app server down too.  Is this correct?  He is saying something about special encryption linkage, and it just doesn't sound 100% correct to me.  Any help? 

9 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Re: Database Migration for 9.1

What versions of Oracle are being used for the source and destination databases for the 7.5 and 9.1 instances?

We have been building and refreshing 7.5 and 9.1 databases using Oracle 11.2.0.2 from database backups and exports and the DBAs have not mentioned any requirements similar to what you are describing.

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

I believe 9.1 has to be on the most recent oracle. 11g(i think).  I honestly don't know what he is talking about, it should be as simple as backing up the Prod DB, and restoring to dev and test, right? 

Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Andy,

which App server is he referring to? Is that PPM app server or E-Biz App server?

If you are using Object Migrator and especially if they are hosted on the same server, you may need to restore Oracle E-biz Apps as well to make sure CLM remains syched up wth PPM.

But. should have nohting to do with PPM apps.

Thanks.

-Raj

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

He's talking about the PPM App Server. 

Is there good documentation around how to do a simple DB Migration that I can provide him?  

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Check out Chapter 10 in the PPM9.10 Installation and Administration Guide. It includes a section titled, "Migrating the Database Schemas."

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

And, just out of curiosity. Does anyone have a 'timeframe"?  How long does something like this normally take? 

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

I sent on the document and got this reply. Maybe this will help shine some light?... :smileyindifferent:

"I agree with what you’re thinking and this exactly what I tried last time.  Then after a few days of working with HP support, they stated, even though it’s not very well documented, you have to also migrate the file system (which means the PPM folder from the apps server).  This is why, if you reboot the database with rebooting the apps server, it won’t work.  That the encrypted sync between the DB and apps server, so if you reboot it throws this off.  They stated some kind of new security measures when they implemented ver 9.10."

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

We have been creating and refreshing several databases as we do evaluation testing on 9.1 but it is quite likely that we have not tried the specific case you are having issues with, namely refreshing a 9.1 instance with the data from another 9.1 instance. If the process has changed, I hope HP documents the process soon because this is a common activity. If they are saying that the entire contents of $PPM_HOME has to be copied to the target instance (with changes to server.conf?), the process has become much more complex.

Jamie Pick
Regular Collector

We're currently in Production with Oracle 11.2, PPM 9.11.

Just yesterday, we restored one of our Dev environments from a Prod backup as part of prep we're doing for 9.1 SP2. There were issues with this. We've also restored several of our other lower environments since going to 9.1 back in May, again, without any issue.

We've used both rman and import/export type backups for these restores and have not had to do any sort of application server directory restores in conjunction with them.

I'm not sure what your DBA or HP is talking about, but I'd definitely be curious to find out.

Thanks,

Jamie

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event