Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data conversion of Two HP PPMC Environments

Highlighted
ErwinTazelaar
Occasional Contributor

Data conversion of Two HP PPMC Environments

Hello,

Currently we are in the analysis Phase of a data conversion between tow HP PPMC environments.

This is within the same company that has one general PPMC instance and another one with almost the same configuration for a specific Department. They want to convert the data from the specific department to the general PPMC environment.

I am wonder if someone has experience with converting  the data automatically?

What kind of approach is recommended? What kind of tools can be used?

Best Regards,

Erwin Tazelaar

Below some figure to migrate the data:

> 100 Projects, > 300 linked Risks, Issue, Scope Changes, > 1000 Workplan Tasks with References to other tasks and Requests

10 REPLIES
Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Data conversion of Two HP PPMC Environments

Hi Erwin,

Can you clear what you want to convert ? I couldn't understand "convert the data from the specific department to the general" ?

Cheers,
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
ErwinTazelaar
Occasional Contributor

Hi Celil,

I mean only PPMC data needs to be converted, that's stored into following HP PPMC objects:

Request Types:

- Proposals

- Project Risks

- Project Issues

- Project Scope Changes

Projects:

- Projects

- Workplans including Tasks

- Tasks References to other Project Workplan Tasks

- Tasks References to other Request Types (as described above)

Programs:

- Programs with Linked Projects

Other Objects:

- Staffing Profiles Linked to Proposals & Projects

- Financial Summaries Linked to Proposals & Projects

Best Regards,

Erwin

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

out of curiosity: why do they need to have 2 separate PPM instances? A single PPM instance can host the processes of much more than 2 departments, with quite enough mechanisms for data isolation. Not to mention the benefits for the upper management in terms of integrated reporting...

Having 2 PPM instances requires for the customer to have 2 separate foundation licenses!

Anyways, regarding your question: I am confused as Celil is: do you want to convert existing Projects, Risks, Proposals, OR their configuration entities?

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
ErwinTazelaar
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alex,

Regarding two instances is some strange decision made by a separate program within the company.

Although we didn't recommand this due to differences etc.

About your question we want to migrate ONLY existing data such as projects, risks, issues.

No configuration is needed to migrate because that's almost the same as the parameter numbers.

Because in the general PPMC we still want to keep our data, we the data from the department PPMC instance.

Best Regards,

Erwin

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Erwin,

Your last clause is explaining what is your issue.

If I understood correctly, I will try to explain:

The depertment system (B) and the general system (A) has different configuraiton about projects,issue, risk and so on.

To migrate data without any lose of data (overwritten, deletion) you can follow these steps:

1. Check the request type,request header type, workflow; names, technical names and IDs (from DB)
  2. Check their tokens itself name and IDs (from DB).
  3. Check IDs of the value of the tokens (from DB).

Please try to understand PPM working in migration:

• If IDs of tokens are same, then PPM replace B's token name and properties with A's token.
  • If IDs of the value of the token are same, then PPM replace B's value of the token with A's value of the token.
  • If B's token has more value than A one, then PPM copy B's value of the token.
  • If B's token has less value than A one, then PPM delete A's value of the token which are not in B one.

Depend on these rules, please review your checks which you have created above.

It is a very tiring job but you must do if you avoid to lose of data

PS: If the post resolves your issue, please click KUDOS star icon and mark it as Accepted Solution.

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi, Erwin,

instead of data migration between the 2 PPMC instances why don't you do the following: find out which data is required by the department B, create the appropriate portlets in PPMC instance A and publish them via WSRP.

This approach would be recommended because

a) you would stick to the rule of having a single source of data. You would avoid differences in reporting due to data changes over time.

b) you would avoid all the headaches and risks of implementing a data synchronization mechanism.

Please let me know if the above sounds reasonable for your issue.

cheers

alex

ErwinTazelaar
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alex,

Thanks for giving an alternative solution.

However at this moment they want to cut costs, to have only one general PPMC instance, besides that the General PPMC instance is supported better and has a whole development street with Development, Test, Acceptance and Production environments.

So at this moment I am still looking for a solution to migrate only the data.

Best Regards,

Erwin

ErwinTazelaar
Occasional Contributor

Hi Celil,

Thanks for the advice, we had provided already that detailed analysis.

However I don't know how to go further, what's the best way to migrate the data, in which sequence?

Starting top-down (e.g. Projects, Linked Proposals, Risks, Issues, Scope Changes. After that the Staffing Profiles, Financials Summaries, Workplans and finally make the references)

Or better from Bottum-up?

Do you have experience with this?

Best Regards,

Erwin

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

ErwinTazelaar wrote:

Hi Alex,

Thanks for giving an alternative solution.

However at this moment they want to cut costs, to have only one general PPMC instance, besides that the General PPMC instance is supported better and has a whole development street with Development, Test, Acceptance and Production environments.

So at this moment I am still looking for a solution to migrate only the data.

Best Regards,

Erwin

Hi,

in this case you can cut the support for that instance and use it as a repository for reporting only ;).

If you still want to go for data migration, you sould note the following:

0. migrate the configuration entities (request types, workflows, user data etc) to the target instance.

1. you have to identify all tables which hold data to the entities in question. The documented data model will help you a lot in this challenge,

1a. identify all sequence values/ranges in the source instance. This is the most difficult step since you will have to develop an algorithm to advance these values in order not to overlap with existing values of the primary keys in the target instance!

2. create the appropriate queries to extract the data from the source instance. You will have to consider changing primary key values, such as request id in related tables. Also, you will have to update the data related to configuration entities, since they will most likely have different values for primary keys in the target, such as request type id and workflow id.

4. disable all triggers in the target instance. This is mandatory because data in the source instance has already been processed by the triggers and you don't want to reapply them.

4a. if you have large volumes of data in the target instance, you disable / drop the indexes related to the tables identified in 1.

5. in the target instance, drop the sequences of the primary keys related to the tables identified in 1.

6. load the data to the target instance.

7. recreate the sequences in the target instances with the appropriate values, based on 1a.

8. enable the triggers.

9. recreate the indexes if applicable.

10. test.

11. test.

12. test.

There is no need to mention that you need to take proper backups and to try the above on a non-production instance first!

Do let me know if the above is clear.

cheers

alex

ErwinTazelaar
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for the clear overview with the different steps.

However I have still one question.

How to start with the data conversion.

- TOP-DOWN first with the projects and Requests Types followed by Workplans with Tasks and finally the staffing profiles and financial summaries.

- Buttom-UP start with the objects such as staffing profile, Financial Summary, Workplans and then with the Request Types and Project.

Best Regards,

Erwin

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event