Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Data Coversion For - Parent Child Relation

Highlighted
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

Data Coversion For - Parent Child Relation

Hello,

We plan to do our Data Conversion where requests are in a parent child state( A Parent Request spawns many Child Requests) to PPM.

For pilot we wrote srcipts and just mapped the parent and created the children manually, However for actual go live the number for the children is huge.

I would like to know what are the best options for having such a relationship to be mapped though Interface tables.

Thanks for your help.
8 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Data Coversion For - Parent Child Relation

Lizabeth, I don't think you can set these relationships in the interface tables. You may have to import all your requests, then set the relationships by adding the appropriate rows to the KNTA_REFERENCES table and flushing the caches.
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

Thanks Eric, but then there would be a lot of manual insertions.We have a large amount of data and inserting rows for each child would take a lot of effort, and would call direct insertions to the Database.

I was thinking if we could create all Child And Parent Requests (through Interface tables) and manually add the Children too the Parent through References and selecting Add Request( Existing) as the option, the advantage being we would not have to update the tables directly.

However, I was concerned if this solution gives exactly the same mappings, (in the database tables or otherwise) to the Requests which are created through Workflows( Execution Step - Create Requests).

Would the solution work.

Thanks again.
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sure, you could do that. But if you're importing say hundreds of requests, that sounds like much more work than doing an Insert-Select into KNTA_REFERENCES to create them, especially if you have some way to determine the parent-child relationships by other fields in the requests.

In any event, the references created are the same either way.
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

Hello,

We are having some issues Converting Data from Interface tables. I would appreciate if someone can help us.

1. We are inserting values in Table Components and even though the kcrt_table_entries_int has data after we run our scripts, Data is not populated in kcrt_table_entries, when the report is run, and is thus not seen in the UI too.

2. I am using a user defined validation but get the error 'Error: CRTI_PARAMTER_NOT_FOUND_IN_LOOKUP: Parameter QA not found in Lookup for Lookup type USG - Work Group' after running the report. I have checked the code and the meaning both exist in the validation for the values( here 'QA') that I am passing.

Thanks again.
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

#1: You are using the same GROUP_ID as the other interface tables? Or is this possibly caused by error #2?

#2: Does your "QA" value show up if you run the following:

select LOOKUP_CODE, MEANING
from KNTA_LOOKUPS
where ENABLED_FLAG = 'Y'
and LOOKUP_TYPE = 'USG - Work Group'
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

Thanks again Eric,

1. I fixed the issue, The Documentation (Open Interface tables) was incorrect, The Parent and the Transaction Id had different values.

2. Yes It Does Exist. Infact I also checked by joining appropriate indices from Parameter_Set_Contexts,knta_parameter_sets and knta_parameter_set_field and the validation_id that we are using.All values do map to the same Context Value' Request Id' that we are using.

Thanks
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hmm...

What I was wondering was (1) if the "QA" value was Enabled, and (2) if the KNTA_LOOKUPS.LOOKUP_TYPE = KNTA_VALIDATIONS.VALIDATION_NAME. If you ever changed the validation name, LOOKUP_TYPE might now be different and sometimes this causes errors or unpredictability...?
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

I did not change the name, and moreover if it was the knta_lookups would not have reflected the value, as per what I understand if the validation name is changed the knta_lookups does not reflect it and needs to be manually updated.

Thanks