cancel

DST issue after recent upgrade to 9.12

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

DST issue after recent upgrade to 9.12

We recently upgraded from 7.5 to 9.12.   Part of the upgrade involved upgrade java to jdk1.6.0_24.   A few days before the recent DST change for the EST time zone, we noticed PPM adding an hour to package steps we were scheduling.   After the DST change, it continued and has not gone away.   We have looked at Java and Oracle DB.   Java DST updater shows version tzdata2011n which appears to be current.    I also ran the -test option and it returned ok.     We ran SELECT version FROM v$timezone_file and it returned 14.    Oracle DBA confirmed DB is set properly.    We are really stuck and this is causing us a lot of headaces.  We have to be careful when scheduling the package lines, and PPM behaves a little strange due to this issue.  Removing seconds results different...  entering the time in the field directly works different than if you click the calendar icon etc.    I noticed a post from November with someone having similar issue in Russia, but could not find any others.   Is there anything else that could be impacting this?   According to HP the time zone settings in the server.config are no longer used.   They are also set properly.   Server is Windows 2003.

D:\applications\jdk1.6.0_24>java -jar tzupdater.jar -V
tzupdater version 1.3.45-b01
JRE time zone data version: tzdata2011n
Embedded time zone data version: tzdata2011n

D:\applications\jdk1.6.0_24>java -jar tzupdater.jar -t

6 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: DST issue after recent upgrade to 9.12

Run the date command on all of your application and database servers. We have seen issues like this when the clocks on these servers were not synchronized. In particular, we had a situation where one of the servers supporting the RAC cluster was out of sync by a few minutes from the others. The event logs showed very strange sequences of times for some events.

bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

Hi Jim,

We have checked the date stamps on our servers and everything appears ok.  The interesting point, and I think I forgot to mention above is this is happening on all of our servers - our old Windows environment (which consists of 2 servers - prod and dev) as well as a recent Linux server that we setup.   So it doesnt appear to be OS related, and probabilty that its server time stamp related seems fairly low.   Is there anything else that could impact this?  Right now, when I select schedule on a package line step, I enter 2:00:00 AM EST.  As soon as I hit enter, PPM saves it as 3:00:00 AM EST

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

just to make sure, since it is not specified in your post: did you run a SELECT SYSDATE FROM DUAL in the database? sometimes Oracle is set up with its own timezone, and even without DST enabled.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
bzdafro
Honored Contributor.
Solution

** I think this might be a bug with this verison....  I explain why I feel this way in the last paragraph. 

SELECT SYSDATE FROM DUAL   returned the correct date.

One other thing I noticed.  I scheduled a package line to kick off in the future.  I ran a select on the kdlv_package_lines.   The last modified date shows the correct time that I updated the step.    However, the visible_user_status_value = scheduled 2012-04-03 03:00:00,   which is what I am seeing on the pkg line.  I entered 02:00:00AM and it saves it as 3AM.  

If the package line last update shows the correct time, what does that prove is working?   PPM is reading server date correctly or  that Oracle knows what time it is?    

Also, something else we just noticed and this might confirm that its a bug.    When you select "schedule execution" the window that pops up HAS the correct date and time.   Currently it is showing 4:20:08 PM EDT.      If we click the calendar button, the time immediately rolls back an hour to 3:20:08 PM.     If we click the Now button, it updates the time back to 4:21:11PM.   If we click ok, it will save it as 4:21:11PM.    So I think this confirms its a bug in the application.   Unfortunately we cannot use this as a work around, because we are scheduling the package lines to execute at specific dates and times, and not at the current time.

bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

FYI

PPM has confirmed this is an issue in 9.12

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

can you please share the defect ID?

cheers

alex