Did you mean: 

Customizing Report for Timesheets

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
ChristineK
Super Collector

Customizing Report for Timesheets

I use the timesheet function in PPM a lot.  I like the view that the "Time Sheet Detail Report" prints out in because it breaks the hours down by days of the week.  However, I am unable to go back and select weeks from last year.  I have to use the "Time Sheet Summary" report and go back 365 time periods. 

I tried to create my own custom report, however I am not technical and do not know how to write the .jsp file to place on the server.

Is there any way to get the "Time Sheet Summary" report the time details in a daily format?

Thanks in advance!!!!

8 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Re: Customizing Report for Timesheets

Just change the Time Period validation for the report in the workbench. It looks like it's using RPT - Time Periods...I'd copy that into a new validation and change the sql line

AND p2.seq between p1.seq - [AS.TMG_PAST_PERIODS_TO_ALLOW] and p1.seq + [AS.TMG_FUTURE_PERIODS_TO_ALLOW]

such that it lets you go back as far as you need. Then replace the validation in the report type with your new one.

(This all assumes you don't want to modify the default for TMG_PAST_PERIODS_TO_ALLOW)

ChristineK
Super Collector

Thanks so much for the help Erik

Sorry to be so untechnical but where would I change the SQL line....in the jsp file?

ChristineK
Super Collector

Erik - What would I change the sql line to too take me back to 2012 timesheets?

If it currently reads: 

AND p2.seq between p1.seq - [AS.TMG_PAST_PERIODS_TO_ALLOW] and p1.seq + [AS.TMG_FUTURE_PERIODS_TO_ALLOW]

What do I change it too???

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor
Solution

The SQL is in the validation RPT - Time Periods

I'd:

1. Copy the RPT - Time Periods validation and give your copy a new name.
  2. Edit your new validation's SQL and just remove that one line entirely. You'll now end up getting ALL time periods (weeks) so eventually you'd want to do something else more fancy here, but this is just the quick-and-dirty method.
  3. Copy the Time Sheet Detail Report report type and give your copy a new name.
  4. Edit your new report type, on the Fields tab, edit the Time Period field and change the validation from RPT - Time Periods to your new one.
  5. Save, and try running this report.
ChristineK
Super Collector

Erik

YOU ARE THE BESTEST!!!  Thank you so much for all the help!!!

One last question :-)  

If I wanted to capture the time in months rather then the weekly....I am guessing, i would need to change the PERIOD TYPE validation???

For example....the month of February goes from a Friday (1st) to Thursday (28th).  If I did weekly reports, it would pull hours for February plus January & March 

Thanks again for your help....you have been a GREAT help!!!

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

So you enter time sheets weekly, but you want to report on the time and have it grouped into months? That's a different report, I'm afraid...probably something custom. In the cases where a time period (week) spans more than one month, it would be tough to split it out right for reporting. For our own reporting, for example, we just consider "March" time to be any time sheets with a week-starting in March. Since our time periods are Mon - Sun, the first day that will be considered "March" will be the one starting 3/4.

ChristineK
Super Collector

I was afraid that was what you were going to say :-(

I am reading from other posts that monthly time is not possible.

Unfortunately, the program I am on has to report resource time to the customer by months rather then weeks and it would be SOOO much easier to run a simple report rather then add weeks and substrate days that aren't part of the month.

Hopefully this will be an upgrade soon!!!!

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Well, "monthly time is not possible" might be an overstatement.

If you're looking to report on one or maybe a couple of projects, just use the Resource Usage screen in the project's work plan. (Actions > Resource Usage) You can change the grouping there to whatever you want, and export it to Excel. It isn't the same format as that TS Detail report but the data is there.

The other options require you to know how to build a report and enough SQL to get the data you need. It doesn't have to be a JSP one, you can build one that calls a Sqlplus script. Or you can just use Sqlplus or some other query tool to get the data yourself. Or do it through the Business Objects solution if you have that.

We typically use the sqlplus script-based method and pull the data into Excel, where people can group/pivot/etc to their heart's desire, but setting that up requires some finesse.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event