Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating rules for Radio Buttons Validations

Highlighted
TurboMan

Creating rules for Radio Buttons Validations

Hi,

I've got a Radio Button validation (Y/N), depending on the values I need to change another fields attribute as disable/enable/visible/invisible.

When I try to create a rule I didn't see the Radio button field in the Rules' dependency Window even though  I see on the field on the PPM Web screen.

Is this an restriction? Or am I doing something wrong?

Any help is appreciated

Regards

TM

7 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating rules for Radio Buttons Validations

As far as I know, radio button fields do not work with rules. This deficiency has existed as long as we have used the product, starting with ITG 6.0. It is necessary to use dropdown lists to overcome this deficiency, even though radio buttons are a much cleaner and user friendly solution.

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Depend on my same experiances, I agree with Jim.
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

If it makes any difference, I also agree with Jim :)

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
sonaliashah
Super Collector

Hi All,

Could the radio buttons be controlled using any Java scripts to overcome this deficiency of not being able to use the buttons through rules? Any thoughts?

Sonali.

Dale Colliver
Regular Collector

I have gotten around this in the past by creating the field with Yes/No drop down as the validation. Next create the rule with the field as a dependancy then change the validation back to Radio button. I would be careful to use the Yes/No drop down that has the same hidden and visible values as the radio buttons. This could also leave you with some risk that the rule could fail if you need to modify the rule later.

Alexander (Sua)
Regular Collector

Hi All

We use the same workaround as Dale described

BR, Alexander
skbd
Regular Collector

Old thread, I realize, but I am now trying to accomplish something similar.

However, once I follow the process of adding the field(s) as drop-downs, then applying the rule and changing the field to radial buttons.  I dont receive any errors, but when the field is populated as a result of the rule, it always populates the 'No' selection.

The method I have set up is to create 2 invisible fields 'Yes' and 'No' with those constant values and then when I want to populate a drop-down or radial with 'Yes', I use SQL like this:

select distinct parameter17, parameter17
from kcrt_request_details
where parameter17='Yes'

This works just fine for the drop-down, but as I stated, whether I choose the 'Yes' or the 'No' constant, I always get the 'No' radial button selected...

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event