Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Creating a new Request Type

Highlighted
EngPlan
Super Contributor.

Creating a new Request Type

I would like to create a request type.  The request type must be able to immediately send the user to a screen where he/she gets the next step in the workflow. 

So, upon clicking the 'Submit' button, instead of simply showing the request id near the upper left hand side of the screen, or seeing it displayed in a dashboard somewhere, the actual form opens with the buttons for the next workflow step.  Maybe I am missing something, but can someone explain to me how to do this?

5 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Creating a new Request Type

The action taken when the Submit button is clicked is defined in RequestCreateAction.jsp. If you want it to do something different, you would have to modify this code. It currently routes the browser to RequestCreateConfirm.jsp. I have not tried to open the new request at this point but if you are adventurous enough to start modifying the code, you could try it.

EngPlan
Super Contributor.

Thanks Jim.  I really am reluctant to do that.  I am really looking for a more honest approach.  Maybe create a decision in the workflow that goes down two different paths, then route the message based on a rule. I am going to try that this morning and see if there is a way to make it work.  Thanks.

EngPlan
Super Contributor.

Okay, I'm really in a dilemma on this one.  I thought I might be able to use a rule, but can't seem to get anything to work.  Here's the issue:

I have one senior managment person who is typically the only one who creates a specific type of request we call PMO Action Item. 

When this person clicks the 'Submit' button, the expectation is that 'on submit' a re-direct occurs that takes the user directly to the request type form.  At this point, there are two buttons on the screen.  One that says "Send to Action Item Officer', the other which says 'Send to Sr. Mgt. for Review'.

I need to get the Senior management person to this request, with the two buttons once he click the submit button.  I can then do routing from there.

I have tried a condition both in front of and behind the first step (Action Item Entry) and could not get thos to work,

Tried to figure out what kind of rule I might put in plce to make this work, (did not)

and searched high and low on the forums and HP's sites for any other information (to no avail).

If anyone has a thought for a solution, please respond as soon as possible. 

Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Have you considered putting those two options in a drop-down field and letting him select one while filling out the form? You could then just route based on that field...

EngPlan
Super Contributor.

Thanks Erik.  that thought actually came to mind after I wrote this.  I am attempting this today and will post if it works.  Thanks again.