Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Hierarchy(Parent child relation) in PPM

Highlighted
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Creating Hierarchy(Parent child relation) in PPM

Hi,
I want to create Parent Child hierarcy in PPM such that a child can have more than one Parent. I hope Org Unit cannot be used for this purpose because every child can have one and only Parent.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Mahendran M

Regards,
Mahendran M
15 REPLIES

Re: Creating Hierarchy(Parent child relation) in PPM

Hi,

what do you mean with parent/child hierarchy?
Parent/child hierarchy of requests?
Or anything else?

Regards
Volker
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Not Requests
Its Products of the client.

1. Product
2. Sub Product
3. Sub Sub Product

I will have field in Requests to fetch these values.

Say if there is a sub product called 'Test', There can be more than one Product whose child is 'Test'

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

So these are validation values then?
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Yep It is a validation.

If I have list Validation it is very hard to Manage.

If I have Org Unit I can establish the Parent - Child Relation, and it will be easy.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

I think if it were me, I would use some custom tables to store this info & relationships, then set my validations to query those tables.

Also, if this info is already stored in some other DB tables somewhere, you can access it directly by using validation SQL that pulls from those tables via DB link.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Yep, The Problem is there is a person(Non-DBA) who will manage this Product hierarchy, If it is a table, then this person should have write access in PROD.

He will be doing this change almost daily, and this cannot be done through DBA and this Product Management person may not have RDBMS Knowledge, He may make the structure redundant.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Well I suppose you could use requests to manage the products and their relationships (you can set the relationships on the requests) that way they are front-end updatable.

We are actually doing this ourselves, just without the relationships.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Can you kindly explain in bit more detailed

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Just create a simple request type (called, say, "Product") with fields for the relevant information, an "Enabled" Y/N field like on validation values, and give that user rights to create/edit/etc. Give it a simple workflow. Use the parent-child relationships between the requests to set the product hierarchy.

Assuming you are needing that Product info for some field(s) on other requests...

In your validation SQL just query for requests of that type with "Enabled" = Y. If you need to show the hierarchy in the validation, your query can reference KNTA_REFERENCES table to build a list of components (requests that are child of) of a given product, etc.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hi Erik,
Creating requests is a good option.
Our client is interested in having the data in external table.

How can I fetch data from external table in Request forms, and ideas in this?

Kindly advice.

Regards,
Mahendran M

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Not sure what you mean. If you use requests, the data is on the requests and in the request tables. If you mean how do you create validations that read from external tables, then you just need to set up your DB with the appropriate links & queries to get it and have your validations reference that.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hum.... Creating Tables and having the data in those tables is much more costly than these Requests.

Kindly let me know if you come to know about any better ways of maintaining this Parent Child Reletion within PPM.

Thanks for your Help.

Regards,
Mahendran M
ppmconsultant
Occasional Contributor

Pls follow the following steps :

1) Create a validation for Product "Product List"(Type : Drop down list): Product ID, Product Name, Description.

** Save the validation before proceeding.

2)Create a user-data for this validation
USer Data Type : Validation Value User Data
Context Field : Validation Name
Context Value : Product List (as created in 1)

3)Add a field to this user-data , "Master Product" and keep the validation as "Product List"

Your Parent-Child Hirerchy structure is set.
-------------------------------------------

4) Now open the "Product List" validation and list all the products in it.

5) Use the user-data field specify the master product for a particular product. In this was you can establish multiple levels of hirerchy.

Let me know if this helps.

Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hi Consultant,
This will work, Thank you.
The Problem is the requirement which asks for the values needs to be changes when ever the Product Manager likes to. If I maintain values in Validation then Application Server Cache is the main Problem(We use clustered environment)

I am thinking to proceed with Request and its Request attachments will be a good option. Thank you.

If there are any better ideas which can be acheived in the dashboard itself, Kindly let me know.

Regards,
Mahendran M
ppmconsultant
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mahendran,

In that case you can try this :

1) Create a small request (Product Maintainance) .
2)Keep a table component field in this request , with following fields :
i> Product Code (Required) - Text
ii> Description (Required) - Text
iii> Master Product (Optional) - Validation : Use a ACL(SQL) validation which queries the same request TC (product_Code)

3) Give user-access just to update this request.

4)Create a single step WF . After creation the request goes to a decision step having an "Update" transition routing it back to the same step. Attach the above mentioned request to this.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event