Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Create PFM - Project from PFM-Proposal execution step

Highlighted
Lenn Kano
Regular Contributor.

Create PFM - Project from PFM-Proposal execution step

In the creation of PFM-Project from PFM-proposal, is there a way to force references to other requests to be copied to the Project. Specifically, we have risks associated w/ Proposal, when we spawn a project, we want those risks references to come over so that they are related to both the proposal and project. any one know how to do this?
10 REPLIES
Kevin Marks
Regular Contributor.

Re: Create PFM - Project from PFM-Proposal execution step

Lenn,
I was informed by HP support that this functionality is not available in the OOTB execution step.
We need a similar situation.
Let us know if you find out anything different.

Thanks
Kevin
Lenn Kano
Regular Contributor.

Ultimately, the way you would do it is create an execution step in your pfm-project workflow that queries the references table for references associated with the proposal id. It probably needs some kind of procedure that says for each reference, insert a new line that copies the reference and replaces the proposal id with the project id. I just wanted to find out if there was an easier way to do this function.
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Lenn,
as you use proposals may be you can help me.
I have created additional fields in the proposal. What should i do to copy them to the project during execution step?

Thank, Rgs Vasily
Kevin Marks
Regular Contributor.

As a start, create the same field in the Project Request.
Make sure token is the same, placement of field in Header vs Details is the same, and the validation is the same. It should come over using the OOTB create project execution if the 3 things above are right.
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

thanks, i will check
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, it works! Thanks.
Kari Sweeney
Trusted Contributor.

I am trying to do something similar to what Vasily is doing , only I'm trying to copy fields from the Proposal to fields on a Demand request using the 'create_request' step.
I tried following Kevin's suggestions about making sure the Token Name, placement of the fields, and validations are the same on both forms, however I can't achieve this because the fields I'm trying to copy over have KNTA_ token names. (ex: I want to carry over 'Proposal Name' from PFM-Proposal to a Demand request). The system won't allow me to add the 'Proposal Name' field to my demand rqst because the KNTA tokens are reserved by the system. Is there some other way to accomplish this carrying forward of data to a demand request?
B Swanson
Super Contributor.

Kari,

I have done this by creating a hidden field in my Proposal and copying the value into there. Then in the request, use the same token, validation, etc as the hidden field.

For example, if I want Proposal Name to copy into a spawned request, I create a hidden field called "Prop Name (Hidden)" and copy the Proposal Name value into there.
Kari Sweeney
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks! After working through a few create_request errors, I was able to implement the hidden field solution you recommended. I appreciate the help!
-Kari
Łukasz Czech
Super Contributor.

Hi, just few more observations regarding fields coping from request to request/project:
- there is no problem with text and numeric fields (unless conditions regarding token name, validation, parameters met)
- field with link validation behaves very strange - if link has no description provided (it is not required) - value of the link (link and description) is not copied, if link and description are provided - both values are copied - it seems like a bug for me
- table components - I can't get it working.
All I get is the number of rows (X Entries) in project details form (which is the same as in request it was created in) but when I go to table details there are no rows (data) at all.
However it may be my configuration issue as Cris from thread http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1270218 was able to get it working.