Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Create A Work Request from within Project

Highlighted
Andy McMahon_1
Super Contributor.

Create A Work Request from within Project

Good Morning!

I have a need to be able to, at any point of my project life cycle to press a button and generate a new request type to act as a 'review' process.

Originally I thought I could put this in the workflow, and just have a button sitting at eveyr step, but then we get into the step permissions, and the clunkiness of having this at each step, and the workflow looking muddy.

Is there a way I can have a link somewhere in the form that will open a new, specific request type.

Or.... Does anyone have a solution for what I'm requesting. basically, at any point of a project life cycle a PM can request a 'quality review'... The key here is "any point"... Can you help?
16 REPLIES
Andy McMahon_1
Super Contributor.

Re: Create A Work Request from within Project

Possibly the answer here is using the built in function of references? I'm sure there is some functionality lost, but I would be losing that anyway, because of the nature of when this would occur. Thoughts?
Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Andy,

I have some knowladge about your case but maybe not solve your case directly maybe only give a idea:

* We are doing in our company what you want to do. We use a request with project referance Field Groups. This field appear in the request as "Project". It's have a security: Only users who have view project permission.

* About your workflow solution: Did you try to use parallel flow? With this way you can give control of "Create Request" button to any one apart from rest of main workflow. If you want details about it, I could give you.

Celil
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Andy McMahon_1
Super Contributor.

I think I'm a little confused by what you're describing. Could you give some more detail?
Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Andy,

I will explain with screenshots, I hope it will helpful for you.
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi, Andy,

adding to Celil's post:

in your case you should route the decision in the parallel workflow to an automatic step - you should use the OOTB execution step source called Create Request, and then return the workflow to the decision step.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
sonaliashah
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Celil and Alex,

I have a similar issue and your solution is very close to our intended design. However, could you also describe in brief how I would be able to create the work request in the execution step which runs in parallel? What execution commands should be used? I know that I would not be able to use ksc_copy_request since the new request is being created from within the parallel step in "project" workflow.

In the execution step to create new request, what command should be used?

Thank you,

Sonali

sonaliashah
Trusted Contributor.

Just as an added information: we are on 9.10 and would need to have a way to create a work request using the project workflow.

Thanks,

Sonali

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi, Sonali,

can you please detail what exactly you are referring to as work request?

cheers

alex

sonaliashah
Trusted Contributor.

Work request can be referred to as any request type. Please ignore the phrase "work request" to clear any confusion. I am referring to creation of a new request type through the project workflow.

Hope this helps clear the confusion.

Thanks,

SAS!

Utkarsh_Mishra
Acclaimed Contributor.

I may be getting this incorrectly.... but as far as I understand is that you need to create a request any time form Project workflow...

To do this..

1. Simply include a hyperlink of Create Request page for that request (directly to SUBMIT button page)
  2. Or create a JSP and link it via Hyperlink or Image button on the request.. and within this JSP simply call COPY_REQUEST procedure.(tweak it is per your requirement)
  3. Or can use HP provided uitlity to create a new request reference from reference section.
Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

in my opinion, the correct way to do it is via an automatic step. check the attached screenshot.

cheers

alex

sonaliashah
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Alex, Utkarsh,

Thanks for the feedback. I am at a step where I have used the built-in-workflow-event to create a request (used the execution step, same as Alex's snapshot). Now comes the real and most important part as explained below, is it possible for any of these scenarios:

Scenario 1: Once this request is created (after users hit the create request button, it should "also copy" some of the fields from the project to this newly created request. So when the users hit the submit button on this new request, it has some fields from the project.

Scenario 2. Is it possible to have some fields in the new request populated from the project and at the same time, have this request sitting in the first step of the status? This would mean that when the users hit /click on the create request action on the project workflow, it will create the request, populate some fields from the project and also move the request to one of the steps in the request workflow.

This is similar to what was possible using kvcs_utilities function in 7.1 where it gave the ability to create a request as well as move the request to a particular step in the workflow.

You guys have been really of great help, but please bear with me to help me solve this. Would mean a lot.

Any thoughts?

Sonali

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

PPM has a built-in mechanism to copy the values of fields when creating a request from another, if all of the below are met for both source and target RTs:
1. The fields need to be defined either on the RHT, either in the RT, but it should be the same for the source and target.
2. The field prompts must match exactly.
3. The fields must be defined with the exact same validation.

With regards to the step of the target RT, you have to define it in the workflow that will be linked to the RT. When we implemented such functionality, we configured an automatic step as the first step - this step was responsible for routing the workflow based on the data in the fields.

Cheers
Alex

sonaliashah
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Alex, Utkarsh, Cecil.

Your expertise definitely helped me understand the structure better, as I am not familiar with 9.10 our current version and a lot has changed since 7.1. As a part of our requirement, however, now we are supposed to build a proposal from which a project will be built during the workflow. So we will have to use ksc_create_project commands and also ksc_copy_request as there will be a need to create two types, a project and a proposal from the existing proposal.

And based on your guidance in this and other posts, it is invaluable. The explanation has cleared any confusion I had earlier.

Regards,

Sonali

sonaliashah
Trusted Contributor.

And definitely, a well deserved Kudos for Celil, Alex and Utkarsh!

sonaliashah
Trusted Contributor.

And also, the screenshots from Cecil and parallel workflow from Alex were right on target for a great learning experience.