Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying workplan milestones to the Project Details Page.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jaylen Smith
Regular Collector

Copying workplan milestones to the Project Details Page.

We would like to create standard workplan templates. For reporting purposes we would like to copy key milestones from the workplan to data elements in the project details page. These data elements on the project details page would be visible but non-editable, and would include planned and baselined dates. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to do this?
15 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: Copying workplan milestones to the Project Details Page.

Hi Jaylen,

Since you have the milestones defined, so you can do this to get the information on the project details page:

1. Create the fields and name them same as milestone names and suffix the field names as ' - Planned Date' and ' - Baselined Date'.

2. Make these fields read-only.

3. Write the rule on each such field to fetch the planned and baseline dates.

For example, if the milestones are 'Design Complete' and 'Construction Complete'. Then on the Project Details section create four fields like,

Design Complete Planned Date
Design Complete Baselined Date
Construction Complete Planned Date
Construction Complete Baselined Date

On each of these fields you can write a rule to auto-populate the values from the workplan from the pm_work_plans, wp_tasks, etc. tables.

The above field creation is an example, you may also create a section for each milestone and then add planned and baselined two fields in milestone named section, but the key will be to create field names, make it read-only and then write rules on these fields to get the planned and baselined dates from the workplan.
Jaylen Smith
Regular Collector

Thanks Darshan.
Jaylen Smith
Regular Collector

Darshan, wsince this is a customization, would a service pack upgrade affect this? I.e, does this mean we'd have to re-create the rule for the affect request type?
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jaylen,

The service pack upgrade won't require to re-create these rules. So these rules should be working absolutely fine after this upgrade. Though this is bit of generic statement, since any customization may need to re-create/re-develop only when there's a data model or underlying application server (Java/JSP or any logic) architecture has changed. Such kind of changes are not done usually by HP in the service packs, but are usually done through the version upgrade like in case of 6.0 to 7.1.

So these customization should be fine, but also, you will need to test them out (along with general application testing) after the upgrade.

Again, the above customization will not be actually considered by PPM as customization but only as a configuration. So if there's actually a product custmomization (like creating custom tables, changing data model, creating custom/new JSP/Java files, modifying html/javascript, etc.), then that would get overwritten by the service pack or the version upgrade which needs to be then re-created. So that does not seem to be the situation in this case, so these rules should be working perfectly fine and as it is after the service pack upgrade also.
Carolyn Barmeie
Super Collector

Darshan...I work with Jaylen and was hoping for a few clarifications.

My understanding of rules, is slight but i thought you could only build rules for data fields that are contain on the request type. Are you refering to rules build outside of the request type? The idea here is that the user updates the workplan task and the associated date element on the project is changed.

When you build a rule, you need to provide the rule event which happens within the project not outside, either on creation or field change. In this case, the field that is being changed is outside on the workplan.

Then I thought the SQL statement included only tokens within the request type, based on dependencies and results (all fields within the request type).

Thanks for your help...Carolyn
Carolyn Barmeie
Super Collector

I just wanted to bring this issue back up to the top in hopes to get further feedback from my previous response if possible. Thanks, Carolyn
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Carolyn/Jaylen,

Is there a hard requirement for these fields to be on the request? Can your reporting just refer to the dates in the workplan directly?
Carolyn Barmeie
Super Collector

Erik, we can do this through reporting but what we are looking to resolve is duplicate entries by users. If they identify a date on the work plan, we want this to populate the project. From what I can tell, the request type rules can not pull anything from outside of the request type like the work plan which contradicts with the response above. I was trying to find another way to accomplish this. It may mean that we need to go through the backend but I want to look at all options. Thanks, Carolyn
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Rules on request type fields can pull any data you can write a SQL query for, but they only trigger on other request type field changes or request creation, so you're right - I don't know how you could trigger on a workplan update unless you create your own DB trigger to handle this from the back end.
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Little my bad. I didn't get the whole scenario earlier. I understand that once you change the milestone date, you won't be able populate back the changed dates back in the request type automatically. It can work for the first time but not for subsequent times of change in dates in workplan, unless the project managers manually fire that rule by changing some field on the form, like by having an additional field, on which you can write rule that every time the project manager changes any content in that field, then the rule will get the workplan milestone dates and populate it in the milestone named fields on the request form. But again this becomes manual process for PMs to do it everytime they modify milestone dates in workplans.

But to automate this process completely (and it won't need rules also on the request forms) you can use report.

You can create a report type and schedule it to run every night to update the milestone named request fields from milestoes of its associated workplan. So this report will check for each project request and regardless of any changes in the milestone dates in the workplan it will simply update the request fields (or you may keep additional check that if the milestone date in workplan and request fields matches then do not update the request fields). The sql of this report should be small and not complex, so this report should run fairly fast and without affecting the application performance. You may then also schedule to run it more than once in a day or every hour if required (similar to some other PPM internal processes, that run every hour or so to updates various components in the application). This might be probably the best option for this scenario. In any case if you also need to run this report at any non-scheduled time, then the admin can just run it manually also.

Another automated approach could by using triggers on the milestones. But triggers may slow down the application performance specifically if you have a lot of workplans in the system.

So for this scenario I think report option may work out well.
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Hi Carolyn,

I didn't actually read your previous post (on May 20, 2008 22:35:35 GMT) while writing my previous post. I just read it now. Can you please let know a bit more on the duplicate entries created by users. I couldn't get it as to what entries the users make duplicate. That will help further to reach the exact issue areas and solution options.
Carolyn Barmeie
Super Collector

For example, if there is a milestone date on the work plan called Lab Entry and there is a date field on the project called Lab Entry. If the user updates the Lab entry milestone in the workplan, we would like it to carry over to the project layout field, so the user is not having to add the date twice. Thanks, Carolyn
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

I will just write down the whole thing in steps and settings, so if there's anything missing or something else going to happen in your system then let know, so we can bring all the missing pieces together to get to the issue and the solution.

Here's are all the steps that would happen:

Settings/configurations
-----------------------------
1. On the project request form you will have fields same as in Workplan Templates, e.g. Lab Entry.

2. You can make these fields on request form as read-only on all the request statuses. So no one will be able to enter any dates in these fields manually. (So that will resolve the issue of someone entering different milestone date than the dates mentioned in the workplan and also the PMs won't need to do duplicate entry in the project request form).

User Activity
----------------------
3. Project manager enters milestone date in Workplan.

Settings/configurations
--------------------------------
4. The scheduled report runs on pre-defined intervals and checks all the milestone dates in each workplan and populates/updates it in corresponding project request milestone fields.

That should be it. We can elaborate any of the above steps in more detail. Let know if you would like to expand further any of the above steps or if anything is missing or different for your requirements. So having milestone request fields as read-only and report updating the milestone dates from workplan to request form should resolve all the three issues/requirements, i.e. having milestone date on request form, having it automated and having it uneditable.
Shawn Ulm
Acclaimed Contributor

Darshan,

I work with Jaylen and am trying to create a report that copies Work Plan data to the Request Detail table. Could you offer any additional advice or reference on the specifics of setting up this report?

EX: Does the report call a database procedure? If so, what does the proceedure look like?

Who can run the report?

Can we configure an Execution Step instead?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Shawn,

If you're going to go to 7.5 soon, it has the ability to trigger a request type rule in a lot of new ways, such as on page load. You could use this to replace the field values with the ones from the workplan (via a simple SQL query) every time someone accesses the project page.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event