Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy a file from DOCUMENTUM to PPM Server Path

Highlighted
Arjun_K

Copy a file from DOCUMENTUM to PPM Server Path

Hi,

1. We have documentum in use and is actively used.

2. In a process user attaches a file to PPM (Which gets stored into Documentum).

3. Admin copies the same file again and places it on to PPM server manually for further processing.

It's a good idea to automate this process!! - but I was not sure if I can use UNIX commands or PPM Special commands to Copy the file from Documentum to PPM server!

If this is possible - how do I know the attachced File path? If I can reach out to the file path - I think it is easy to use the Copy command...

Appreicate your views on this!

Thanks,

Mallikarjun.S

Warm Regards,
Mallikarjun.S
7 REPLIES
philipwood
Regular Collector

Re: Copy a file from DOCUMENTUM to PPM Server Path

Hi,

Not sure if this is a good idea to do...

But as a start to finding the file location:

Check the blog at:

http://robineast.wordpress.com/2007/01/24/where-is-my-content-stored/

Below is a sample query in a PPM context (This is to be run on the Documentum Schema):

I've hardcoded filepaths and servernames etc.

select
to_char(to_number(translate(to_char(-cs.data_ticket,'XXXXXXXX'),'0123456789ABCDEF','FEDCBA9876543210'),'XXXXXXXX')+1,'XXXXXXXX') hex,
'\\s058Xiisffe0032\d$\Documentum\data\PPMPROD\content_storage_01\00000111\'||
substr(to_char(to_number(translate(to_char(-cs.data_ticket,'XXXXXXXX'),'0123456789ABCDEF','FEDCBA9876543210'),'XXXXXXXX')+1,'XXXXXXXX'),2,2)||'\'||
substr(to_char(to_number(translate(to_char(-cs.data_ticket,'XXXXXXXX'),'0123456789ABCDEF','FEDCBA9876543210'),'XXXXXXXX')+1,'XXXXXXXX'),4,2)||'\'||
substr(to_char(to_number(translate(to_char(-cs.data_ticket,'XXXXXXXX'),'0123456789ABCDEF','FEDCBA9876543210'),'XXXXXXXX')+1,'XXXXXXXX'),6,2)||'\'||
substr(to_char(to_number(translate(to_char(-cs.data_ticket,'XXXXXXXX'),'0123456789ABCDEF','FEDCBA9876543210'),'XXXXXXXX')+1,'XXXXXXXX'),8,2)||'.'||
doc.itg_extension filepath,
so2.r_version_label,
so.r_creation_date
from
"PPMPROD"."ITG_DOCUMENT_S" doc
join "PPMPROD"."DM_SYSOBJECT_S" so on (so.r_object_id = doc.r_object_id)
join "PPMPROD"."DM_SYSOBJECT_R" so2 on (so2.r_object_id = doc.r_object_id)
join "PPMPROD"."DMR_CONTENT_R" c on (c.parent_id = doc.r_object_id)
join "PPMPROD"."DMR_CONTENT_S" cs on (cs.r_object_id = c.r_object_id)
where
doc.ITG_DOCUMENT_ID = 77408

As an overview the DATA_TICKET  field in the DMR_CONTENT table of the relevant documentum schema can be used to determine the filepath.

The Documentum filepath is actually a character representation of that 32 bit ID stored in two's complement notation.

I had so much trouble getting any tool to calculate it (I don't know how to get Oracle to use 64bit numbers and if you don't it overflows during the calculation) that I converted the number to a hexidecimal string and then performed the two's complement calculation by swapping each digit by its hexidecimal compliment.

Anyway - maybe you can use this as a starting point.

Regards

Philip Wood

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

hi,

there is a much better option: you can make use of the Documentum command line utilities in order to extract a specific document - please refer to Documentum documentation for details.

On another note, if you are an HP PPM customer, you are entitled (until 2013) to an EMC support account.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Arjun_K

Hi Philip,

This is a good work around! However, I could not get the right path of the file using the query...I think I still need to work on the query.

However, with the hint Alex gave in his reply - I was able to utilize the Documentum tokens to find out the path. Trying to see if that helps.

Thank you for the response!

Thanks,

Mallikarjun.S

Warm Regards,
Mallikarjun.S
Arjun_K

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the hint. Instead of using the command line utilities, I was able to use the Documentum tokens within PPM which resolved and got me the path of the document I attached to a request. But it was a link to the file and not the path - something like - http://servername:port/itg/web/knta/dms/DocumentWindow.jsp?componentName=&ACTION=VIEWREDIRECT&isReference=FALSE&ID=193740

If I click on the link I get the file!

I stored this link in a text filed with an idea of using it as a path and use Unix Copy command to copy.

However, I was unable to use the Unix Copy command - command was unable to identify the file (Or file location)!!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Mallikarjun.S

Warm Regards,
Mallikarjun.S
philipwood
Regular Collector

Hi Mallikarjun,

PPM has no idea about the storage location of the file (it can't really - Documentum could be configured to use different storage strategies) - so it will not be able to provide a reference that can be copied using a unix copy.

If you use the provided link you would need to use a tool like wget to do an HTTP GET to retrieve the file.

This needs some mechanism to authenticate as the tool won't have an active session.

Regards

Philip Wood

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi, Mallikarjun,

You cannot get the file because of the Documentum security model. Also, if you try to access the file directly, it will most probably have a cryptic, unusable file name.

Again, I would recommend you to use the command line utilities.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Arjun_K

Thank you Philip & Alex!

I'm trying multiple options and update if I get success.

Thanks,

Mallikarjun.S

Warm Regards,
Mallikarjun.S
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event