Did you mean: 

Code Migrations and the Batch Execution Manager

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Greg Sliva
Regular Collector

Code Migrations and the Batch Execution Manager

After upgrading to PPM 8.03 when we do code migrations via a Package in Deployment Management we have found that we can no longer select all the Package lines at once and click Migrate. Line 1 will execute and complete but it never moves on to Line 2. You have to individually execute every line one at a time. Is there any way to resolve this?

11 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Re: Code Migrations and the Batch Execution Manager

I've seen this on 9.12 as well.  The first line of the package will complete successfully, the remaining lines fail, citing line 1 as the reason.  The odd thing is that it doesn't always happen.  I haven't noticed any discernible pattern that might explain it.

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

This is a known problem HP provided a Hot Fix to us to address the issue in 9.12.

Greg Sliva
Regular Collector

Thanks. Glad to hear this is a known issue. Hopefully they can provide a Hot Fix for PPM 8.03.

TurboMan

If I understand you correctly, It works for 8.04.

Such as, adding more package lines, and submitting all of them at the same time, and in status Tab, selecting all and executing  in one go.

Greg Sliva
Regular Collector

I went ahead and installed SP4 but still face the same problem. For example, if I have a package with 5 package lines and if I select all 5 lines and click Migrate, only package line #1 will migrate. The rest of them sit in an "In Progress" status and never execute. No logs generated and no execution occurs.

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

For any Decision Step you can do this but for any execution step you cannot.

We had also faced lots of issues due to this.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Utkarsh wrote:

For any Decision Step you can do this but for any execution step you cannot.

We had also faced lots of issues due to this.

This is functionality is supposed to work, and has in the past.  I got the hotfix from HP for 9.12, but haven't had the chance to apply it yet to see if it really works. 

@Greg, it sounds like you problem is a little different than what was originally understood.  The initial assumption that both Jim and I took to mean was that the subsequent lines went to a Failed state, not stayed at In Progress.  It may well be that they are related, but it does sound a little different than what the hot fix Jim mentioned is supposed to fix.

Greg Sliva
Regular Collector

Yes, we are talking about the same issue. It is only on the excution steps. This is giving us a big problem as every line you execute separately takes up a space in the Execution Manager as a different Batch ID. In prior version you could select all the lines at once and execute and it would only take one space in the execution manager as the same Batch ID. We have our MAX_EXECUTION_MANAGERS set to a value of 50 but when we have thousands of package lines to execute that fills up really quick and then everything is put into a pending queue. Would you happen to know what is the largest value you can put in the MAX_EXECUTION_MANAGER. I was going to set it at 100.

Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

The only reason I say it's different is that your lines stay 'In Progress' as opposed to failing.  The MAX_EXECUTION_MANAGERS parameter will depend on your server, if it can handle a higher load.  With packages that large, you probably should increase it.

Greg Sliva
Regular Collector

Sorry, I should have been clear. They actually do fail after some time. No execution log generated though. I plan to go ahead and increase the Max_execution_manager setting just to buy us a little more bandwidth until HP can provide a patch. If you find any resolution to this, please let me know. Thank you for your time and insight. Much appreciated.

Greg Sliva
Regular Collector
Solution

The HotFix for 9.12 resolved the issue for me on version 8.03.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event